Real Ranger Pick-ups

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Jack

Real Ranger Pick-ups

Post by Jack »

I have been building and restoring 61-66 Ford pick-ups from mild to wild since the 80s
I recently purchased a V-81 F-100 and a T-81 F-250
My question is if I put 20K in each to restore will they be worth much more than a standard pick-up??
Jack in San Diego
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Real Ranger Pick-ups

Post by FarmMotorSports »

That's a great question. To which the answer is not easy.
If you watch the big Auction houses our slicks don't command high dollar. Yet, every now and then some truck with what I would call serious flaws in build quality goes for bigger than normal $$$. Over time they are going up in value, just a little faster than a mint fresh Yugo.

My answer is If your building a slick purely as an investment, you may not be totally sane or, I hope your under 16 yrs old so that ship has time to come in.

If you're building a slick because you enjoy doing it and you don't care if it pays off or not, your bound to be happy and it just might command the $$$ for your beneficiarys some day.

:2cents:

PS: I would expect a well documented rare optioned vehicle to gain value faster than a run of the mill one.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

What's a v-81 and a t-81?
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Body code numbers that tell how the truck was built. In this case they are for Ranger option interior.
Tom Williams
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Ah gotcha. Thanks!
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Since I see so much a FAKE Rangers and FAKE Mercury's and so much of experts all I have seen lately by going by Book Material,, These answers are not in the books

My ? is how can you spot a FAKE Ranger, Now on Fake Rangers OH yes change the door plate, cut out the # off Frame Rail and reinstall the #, install all the Ranger Parts or have the ORIGINAL Build Sheet or transaction paperwork,, But still one place to tell if real or not

Now one other note NOT ALL FRAMES Where stamped with Vin#'s,, I talked personally to a Ford Rep and answer was about 95% of frames where stamped on trucks for many years but a few where missed

AND Next

My ? is how to spot a Fake Mercury especially ones from 1966 to 1968 trucks,, Now from 1965 down is a little harder
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I also do not think the body codes are always accurate. My first slick was a '65 from Texas that had a x81 body code. I do not recall the color code for the x. The truck was a plain jane no option shortbed. I also am not sure how much the Ranger option adds to the value of a vehicle. There just aren't that many people out there who understand or care about its rarity. I have a ranger/camper special that I was overjoyed to find. But a lot of people just shrug off the interior.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

That is way I always ask for a picture of the VIN plate, if it is a brand now plate I start to have doubts if it is real or not. I also ask for pictures of the truck and if possible old pictures of the truck. If I see old and faded Ranger badges or a vey worn interior I can pretty well believe that it is indeed a true Ranger. If it has a new VIN plate and the truck looks brand new I start to have serious doubts.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

bruceandersson wrote:I also do not think the body codes are always accurate. My first slick was a '65 from Texas that had a x81 body code. I do not recall the color code for the x. The truck was a plain jane no option shortbed. I also am not sure how much the Ranger option adds to the value of a vehicle. There just aren't that many people out there who understand or care about its rarity. I have a ranger/camper special that I was overjoyed to find. But a lot of people just shrug off the interior.
I would strongly suspect that the X81 code was on a special order truck with some interior that was not standard production.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.