'65 canadian-built special-order codes

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FORDification
United States of America

'65 canadian-built special-order codes

Post by FORDification »

I'm working on putting together a page on decoding the '65 Canadian-built truck warranty tags. Would I be correct in assuming that the "Special Order" info in the lower-right corner of the tags is basically the same as the DSO codes for the U.S. built trucks? The MPC has no breakdown of these codes for the Canadian trucks...are the districts the same as the U.S versions?
Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
FORDification
United States of America

Re: '65 canadian-built special-order codes

Post by FORDification »

Well, until I find what I'm looking for, I've gone ahead and posted what I have so far. This is the tutorial on decoding the warranty tag on 1965 Canadian-built trucks. It's not 100%, but almost. I'd like you to take a look and let me know if everything looks OK or if anything appears to missing or incorrect, and I'll immediately fix it.

Also, I'm still searching for information on 1965 Canadian DSO codes (they're different from '66-later trucks) and serial number blocks assigned for 1965, so if you have access to these, please let me know so they can be added to the page.

HOW TO DECODE YOUR CANADIAN 1965 VIN / WARRANTY TAG
Keith
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I don't have any info on the '65 and later trucks, but with the help of jamesdfo I was able to compile some info on Canadian-built 61-64 trucks if that's of any help:

http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35021
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

That will definitely help...thanks! I'll actually be finishing up the page for '61-'62 U.S. trucks tonight, so the Canadian version of the page is next.

A couple nights ago I was on ebay and bought the U.S. '61 shop manual, the '62 supplement and the '62-63 Ford/Mercury supplement. ...so between your stuff and what I'll have soon, I should be good. :D
Keith
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Very good. :)

Do they refer to the first digit as "number of cylinders" in the '65 literature? Just reviewing my own info and it seems they jumped around between calling it "model description" and "make code" depending on the year, and also seem to interchange "model" and "body type" occasionally for the next two digits. Interesting stuff. Confusing, but interesting. :D

The only issues I noticed were a typo under the "First Row" heading ("cods" instead of "codes") and you have the 352 listed as a 6 cylinder under the "Engine Code" section. Otherwise it's coming together nicely!

Where did you happen to find the '65 Canadian paint codes?
kelwar

Post by kelwar »

I have a Canadian 65 shop manual I think it has the break down for the codes. Maybe it has some useful info.
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

The Big M wrote:Very good. :)

Do they refer to the first digit as "number of cylinders" in the '65 literature? Just reviewing my own info and it seems they jumped around between calling it "model description" and "make code" depending on the year, and also seem to interchange "model" and "body type" occasionally for the next two digits. Interesting stuff. Confusing, but interesting. :D

The only issues I noticed were a typo under the "First Row" heading ("cods" instead of "codes") and you have the 352 listed as a 6 cylinder under the "Engine Code" section. Otherwise it's coming together nicely!

Where did you happen to find the '65 Canadian paint codes?
Thanks for the critique...got the typos fixed.

You know, as for where I got the '65 Canadian info...I honestly can't recall! LOL But I do need to try to remember so I can attribute the source for sure. And since there have been a few typos here and there, I really should double-check my work.
kelwar wrote:I have a Canadian 65 shop manual I think it has the break down for the codes. Maybe it has some useful info.
If you can, I'd like for someone to verify that what I have on this page is what the shop manual says too. Thanks! I'm thinking that the shop manual is where I got them from in the first place...must have gotten them from someone here. I'm keeping my eyes open on E-bay for all the Canadian shop manuals too, just to add to the collection and to use for reference.
Keith
kelwar

Post by kelwar »

Imaged
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

Holy crap!

First of all, thank you Kelwar for supplying those '65 shop manual pages. Very much appreciated. :clap:

However....the information for decoding the '65 Canadian-built tags is slightly different in the '64-'72 Master Parts Catalog than what the shop manual pages show here. (The MPC is where I got the codes for the page I just built and linked to above.) Well, the codes themselves are the same, but certain things were labeled slightly different. The MPC page is attached here, just for comparison purposes.

FIRST LINE:

1) What the '61 shop manual calls "make code" is labeled "engine code" in the MPC. I suppose you COULD call it the engine make code. The codes themselves are the same, just a slightly different nomenclature for them. I'll use the MPC's "engine code", to eliminate some confusion.

2) What the '61 shop manual calls "model code" is labeled "body type code" in the MPC. Same thing I guess...though I think the MPC's 'body code' is probably more accurate, so that's what I'll use.

SECOND LINE:

You'll notice the '61 shop manual labels the digits in the "SERIES" section a little differently than the MPC, but both decode out the same. Again, I think the MPC's version is more to the point and less confusing, so that's what I'll use.

THIRD LINE:

Now this part confuses me, and leads me to believe that the code shown on page 1, the tag diagram under "ENGINE" contains an error as printed in the shop manual. The engine codes table on page 3 of the shop manual shows the correct engine codes, but it's just not the format shown in the warranty tag diagram. As shown in that tag diagram, '5T' isn't a code shown in the table (all engine codes actually start with 'S'). Interesting.

I DO like the fact that the shop manual shows tu-tone codes for styleside pickups, showing what combinations were available. That wasn't included in the MPC, so I'll definitely add those to the decoding page.

This is the MPC page:

Keith
kelwar

Post by kelwar »

Glad it was (well sort of) some help! funny there was so many differences I guess they must not have been on the same page when writing the manuals. The typo in my book is pretty interesting too I had never noticed that before. There was also a couple more pages of front axle codes and truck registration ratings that I didn't post also if needed I can put those up also.