Floor mat

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mojave922
United States of America

Floor mat

Post by Mojave922 »

I'd like to buy a stock-style rubber/vinyl floor mat for my '65 slick. I gather there is a range of quality out there, some being reported as thin or only covering from firewall to back of floorboard, etc. I saw recently that MAC advertises ones that cover completely, front to back of cab and has jute backing. Please post if you've been happy (or unhappy) with a mat you've purchased. Thanks!
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Floor mat

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I'm interested in those comment's myself.
A mat will eventually be on my list.
I've tried to save several originals but they always tear or crack durring the extraction.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Mojave922
United States of America

Post by Mojave922 »

FarmMotorSports wrote:I'm interested in those comment's myself.
A mat will eventually be on my list.
I've tried to save several originals but they always tear or crack durring the extraction.
I'm surprised no one has posted on this yet.
David

Previous rides:
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Trying to decide between staying with mat or going to carpeting, so I'd love to hear what people think about the mats they've installed.
1966 F250 LWB
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

The rubber mats in the Custom Cab trucks had the simulated carpet and were color keyed to the interior of the truck. They were a very good looking rubber mat. I had them in my 64 F100. I spilt a coke in the truck once and simply took a hose and washed the mess right out and it was like new again. The Rangers and the Camper Specials with the Ranger interiors were the only Ford truck from 1961 to 1966 that got carpets.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I replaced my highly deteriorated original mat with a factory ford replacement mat. It fit fits and functions perfectly and the only thing I miss is it doesn't have the original lightning bolt logo on it. Also probably not as thick but still holds up very well. I don't use a pad underneath it. It's a 64 column shift.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Where'd you find an original mat?
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Guess I will jump in as well.
I put a preformed, entire cab, molded rug in mine, and I gotta tell you it looks and fits great but its a pain to keep clean. Keeping with the daily driver idea, I would rather find a full length molded rubber or vinyl covering if one could be found I am not fond of the half mat that ends at the front of the seat
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

bruceandersson wrote:Where'd you find an original mat?
Not an "Original" mat a Ford replacement mat. It is similar but not the exact surface pattern. fit and finish is very good. I think it was Dennis Carpenter Or Ebay , a few years ago. I'll try to get a picture. For the price I've been very pleased, it's easy to take care of.
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

got one from LMC and it started cracking after about 3 years.
Ben Jamin
United States of America

Post by Ben Jamin »

Yikes! 3 years and the mats already cracking? I was planning to get an LMC full matt.

A lot of my freinds have syuggested Linex or Raptor DIY for the floor but I'm not sold on it with the idea of the mat /and insulation.
The Devil rides on an idle horse
Mojave922
United States of America

Post by Mojave922 »

bird55 wrote:
Not an "Original" mat a Ford replacement mat. It is similar but not the exact surface pattern. fit and finish is very good. I think it was Dennis Carpenter Or Ebay , a few years ago. I'll try to get a picture. For the price I've been very pleased, it's easy to take care of.
Bird55, can you confirm if you got yours at DC, is it full length, and can you post a pic?

Thanks!
David

Previous rides:
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I saw that StockInteriors.com has the rubber floor mat.

I just ordered a carpet from them. My cab floor is covered in lizard skin sound control and heat insulation. It's pretty durable so far but I had considered spraying Berliner in there on top of it. Decided on carpet instead.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Mojave922 wrote:
bird55 wrote:
Bird55, can you confirm if you got yours at DC, is it full length, and can you post a pic?

Thanks!

Here's a couple of pics. It's several years old and holding up good. Although I don't drive it every day. Ends at the seat. Can't recall where I got it, seems like DC. It's a FORD # "Replacement" mat

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... 4vasd74jzT
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... bIXg_L_Agc
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN ... d6n7o9Y4ow
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

fyi, IMHO I don't like the jute backings on mat floors. Any moisture that gets in there holds in there with jute. And YOU WILL get moisture condensing somehow in most cases. (ok, maybe not in AZ!) I would try to use some other form of hard rubber padding or lizard skin or bedliner.
Also I think the more cusion underneath the mat the more susceptible it is to breaking, bending or cracking.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I'm hard headed but I can still be taught a few things, but I've been in the parts business for 35 years and I've only seen:

for a 65-72 a repro. solid black mat that resembles a carpet looking pattern, relatively thin, but they cut off at the front edge of the seat. While the original mats had a small pyramid type pattern, and were colored for the color of the truck. If you had a blue truck, your mat was black with blue speckles blended in, and so on. (originals are not available)

for a 61-64 a repro. all black mat with the ring gear and lightening bolt. These were available from a dealer out of Oklahoma City. (an original one for these trucks is also not available.)

Some custom carpet companies make a heavy rubber/plastic mat that will cover the entire floor, also is molded to fit, and are solid black also.

If there's anything else I haven't seen it.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Here's a couple of pics. It's several years old and holding up good. Although I don't drive it every day. Ends at the seat. Can't recall where I got it, seems like DC. It's a FORD # "Replacement" mat

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... 4vasd74jzT
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... bIXg_L_Agc
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN ... d6n7o9Y4ow[/quote]

OK, here's a real late follow-up to this thread.
I just happened to run across the invoice for the floor mat. IT IS from Dennis Carpenter and was $100 on 12/14/2009.
It is still holding up very well. The stock number on the item is C1TZ-8113000 61-64 Floor Mat
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

bird55 wrote:I just happened to run across the invoice for the floor mat. IT IS from Dennis Carpenter and was $100 on 12/14/2009.
It is still holding up very well. The stock number on the item is C1TZ-8113000 61-64 Floor Mat
They've gone up a bit but that price was 7 years ago. They are $124.95 now.
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Still worth it I think, especially at $124. eBay has (a pricey) one I've been keeping in my watch list, but I don't know the manufacturer. I personally prefer rubber floor mats (despite having a Ranger clone) just for the "spilt coke" factor, as well as the "hard to keep carpets clean" factor. here's the link I've been following: https://www.ebay.com/itm/400332396475

Norm
Mojave922
United States of America

Post by Mojave922 »

I took delivery of a vinyl full-length mat from LMC this week. My first impressions of it are good. The material looks sufficiently thick and pliable. I hope to have better luck than a previous poster that used LMC. My truck will be garage kept and used just for cruising. I would be shocked if the mat didn't stand up to that.

The instructions say to unfold and lay it out for 48 hours at room temp, but specifies not to put it in direct sunlight, interestingly. Guess where I put it before reading the directions.
David

Previous rides:
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code