'62 tbird drivetrain

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mojave922
United States of America

'62 tbird drivetrain

Post by Mojave922 »

I'm working to fit a '62 390 out of a tbird into my '65 slick (I'm having to adapt the engine mounts). The engine came with a good auto trans, I assume a Cruise-O-Matic. If I choose to use this trans down the road (currently the truck has a 3 spd manual), minus the steering column and linkage, will it simply be a matter of relocating the crossmember? I'll need to get a trans mount too, since I see the mounting holes are wider on the auto than the manual.
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
Michelle
United States of America

Re: '62 tbird drivetrain

Post by Michelle »

I would have thought that the engine mounts would have been a no brainer. Aren't the mounts that same on the 352 the same as the 390?
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Mojave922
United States of America

Post by Mojave922 »

Michelle wrote:I would have thought that the engine mounts would have been a no brainer. Aren't the mounts that same on the 352 the same as the 390?
That was my assumption too, I've since learned that the early 390s have different holes into the block (spacing and location are different by an inch or so on each).
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Sounds pretty cool. When I bought my 65 the PO swapped in a 351m which I know doesn't really help with your question but it did have an FMX behind it and I believe that was the same if not similar to your newly acquired transmission. Either way I believe they are the same size and it was mounted to the unmodified trans crossmember. Apparently they used the original mounting point for the tranny but they just moved the motor mounts. The FMX actually fits pretty well in there, it is unbelievably heavy, but actually looks like it belongs. Before I sold the motor there was no problem reaching the bell housing bolts from under the hood
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The motor needs to sit at the correct angle. The carb needs to be level or you could have all kinds of Issues. The cruiseomatics rear mount is about 5" forward of where a C6 would mount. I think the frame is level here and you could just slide the bracket.