Automatic steering column swap into '61 F100 options

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

River City
United States of America

Automatic steering column swap into '61 F100 options

Post by River City »

Hello all,
Been trying to research google for options on what year automatic steering column would fit into my '61 F100 then attach to a C6. In a perfect world I'd like to be able to use the '61 style steering wheel on it. Tilt would be pretty cool but no biggie if not. The info I'm finding is spinning me in circles so I figured I'd ask you kind folks. Also trying to find out if I would need to change my steering box for this swap. Thanks in advance!
'61 F100 unibody SWB (Vic swapped daily driver)
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Automatic steering column swap into '61 F100 options

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Which steering box are you using. Stock is one piece to the wheel. If you go aftermarket 65-79 with a few mods... Tell us more about your plans.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Agree with FMS. There are no simple changes with the stock steering set up for the straight axle trucks. The steering shaft is integrated with the steering box. One piece from the gear inside the box to your steering wheel. You would have to cut the shaft to use anything other than a slick auto steering column. 53-60 might work as well as they have the same or similiar design.
River City
United States of America

Post by River City »

Thank you for the info. As for my plans, what I'm trying to do is swap out my 3 on the tree column for a automatic column. I'd thought about just using the manual column and building a linkage but I'm not too keen on the safety downsides of that. Being able to start it in gear, bumping it into random gears etc. also the wife plans to drive it from time to time and she'd like a gear indicator found on the auto column. Maybe I could just fab up a gear indicator and install a neutral safety switch, but a auto column would be ideal.
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

The question we need the answer to is, your plans for power steering. If you do a CPP power steering box for a 60 Ford. The choice is any Ford column 65 to 79. With mounting mods possibly length mods. Or any aftermarket column, with mounting mods, length is usually to order.

If you wish to save the the original arm strong box. You have two basic choices.
MOD your column of choice to fit the solid shaft. No tilt not an option.

Or cut the shaft an 1" or 2" just out side the box. Slide a BIG truck tierod boot over the shaft for a dust seal for the box. Then put flats on what is left of the shaft and install a aftermarket double D to spline u joint to match the column of your choosing. You will have to modify the column mount and length to suit your needs.

I have done this to my column purely for safety. I used a 68 tube for the bottom bearing and my original uppers for stock appearances. I want my column to fold not stab me.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
River City
United States of America

Post by River City »

Fantastic! Exactly what I needed. Thank you so much. I don't plan on power steering, so I think I'll go your route, I like the added safety of it folding as well. Thanks again!
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

The u joint improves the odds of the column folding but I hope never to see if the theory works.

Measure three times cut once. Obtaine all parts before starting.
Yours will be more complicated than mine, I had floor shift. So you have more parts to set length on.
The 68 and up column uses a bearing in the bottom held up by a clamp.
I had to drill the spot welds, move the seat for the bearing up the column after cutting to length.
Reused the upper shaft section from the old column with all original upper parts.
Drilled the 68 mount off the tube and reused the 61 hanger.
68 and up columns use a spring between bearing and steering wheel to keep tension on bearings.
You may need the lower external column mount, for support, it bolts to firewall and clamps to column.
Ask questions if you come across any.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
CHOPPERS
United States of America

Post by CHOPPERS »

I have a 62 as well, and I purchased a 62 auto column complete with the gear box, and haven't done any swaps yet, just prepping, but I do understand that Ford [and every Mfr.] went the safety rag-joint route, so I may modify it at some point, or do the 65-79 upgrade....I would like power steering, just haven't thought it fully through yet, as I have a straight axle, I would like to use all Ford parts....Any ides, just throw them out here...
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

I've looked at several FOMCO PS boxes. None are going to be without flaws.
Namely bump steer. With a straight Axel you are seriously limited. You either set up for a side swing box like you have, or you do cross steering. Box on one side and drag link to the other spindle.

In all honesty the CPP PS box is the easiest install with no added bump steer.
You can MOD you original column for use with any box.
Even the ram assists are an aftermarket solution Ford dabled with.
PS was never stock to a straight axle.

If I ever add PS to mine the best current option is the CPP box.
I know other members are looking at late model power assist columns to graft in to the straight axle system.
Maybe they will chime in with their current situation/results.

Please, build the better mouse trap if you can, others will follow.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
CHOPPERS
United States of America

Post by CHOPPERS »

Yes, those look nice, they have the modern power set-up, hoses go direct into them. What about the pitman arm?
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

If you're referring to the CPP box it's my understanding (I have not used one) that the 60 kit will work with only mods to box mounting holes on the frame. I'm not privy to details of the install process, or how well
the pitman works with the drag link set up. I believe 60 is a socket pitman arm not ball stud.

It is important to note that CPP does NOT support using the 60 kit on any truck besides a 60.
I believe that is due to liability insurance purposes.

But, none the less they WILL NOT help with the install or provide support for a 61-64 truck.

Or if you were referring to the hydraulic asist ., good luck parts and kits are hard to come buy.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
deadheadno1

Post by deadheadno1 »

FarmMotorSports wrote:PS was never stock to a straight axle.

The 1960 F100 Custom Cab my dad owned back in the late 60's had factory power steering on it. As far as "dabbled with" Ford's power assist was used on everything from cars to class 8 trucks for well over twenty years. My 1958 model 961 Ford "High Boy" tractor has factory power assist on it.
Tom
"Make him a "deal" deal, maybe the guy's a republican!"