Round Dash Mouned CRUISE Control Bezel?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

chris401
United States of America

Round Dash Mouned CRUISE Control Bezel?

Post by chris401 »

Was there ever a round bezel made, like the LIGHT, WIPER, HEATER, ect, that said CRUISE?
Chris
9Fingers
United States of America

Re: Round Dash Mouned CRUISE Control Bezel?

Post by 9Fingers »

I have never seen a round bezel for these trucks that said Cruise.

I used one that said Throttle, with a flexible cable mounted on the carb end as a crude cruise control. Worked well to keep the truck at speed on flat ground.

Get up to speed, pull cable until the truck didn't lose speed when letting off the gas pedal. Flexible cable on the end allowed the travel needed so the regular accelerator cable would not bind the throttle cable when moving back and forth.
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

9Fingers wrote:I have never seen a round bezel for these trucks that said Cruise.

I used one that said Throttle, with a flexible cable mounted on the carb end as a crude cruise control. Worked well to keep the truck at speed on flat ground.

Get up to speed, pull cable until the truck didn't lose speed when letting off the gas pedal. Flexible cable on the end allowed the travel needed so the regular accelerator cable would not bind the throttle cable when moving back and forth.
That is an idea. I have the throttle mechanisms from a big truck that mount on the choke side.
Chris
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I made a home made cruise control for my 56 F-100, and a second one for the Falcon Sprint. I have never installed the one in the Falcon. The momentary switches for cruise off, on and and set, coast, resume were to be hid in the center console. I wrote a tech article on this that was published in the Falcon magazine. The same could easily be applied to a slick.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Michelle wrote:I made a home made cruise control for my 56 F-100, and a second one for the Falcon Sprint. I have never installed the one in the Falcon. The momentary switches for cruise off, on and and set, coast, resume were to be hid in the center console. I wrote a tech article on this that was published in the Falcon magazine. The same could easily be applied to a slick.
I have an idea for the Dana Perfect Circle unit I have.
Chris
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

chris401 wrote:
Michelle wrote:I made a home made cruise control for my 56 F-100, and a second one for the Falcon Sprint. I have never installed the one in the Falcon. The momentary switches for cruise off, on and and set, coast, resume were to be hid in the center console. I wrote a tech article on this that was published in the Falcon magazine. The same could easily be applied to a slick.
I have an idea for the Dana Perfect Circle unit I have.
Do tell me about your idea.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Thought of modifying a headlight switch.
Park light position= cruise on

Headlight position (against spring tension for auto return to park)= cruise set

Clockwise twist= resume

With porcelain gutted, bimetal spring and a washer tacked to shaft with a groove for a stationery roll pin or small bolt as a bump stop. I thought of using a hot air choke spring from a carburetor. The resume function would be the trickier to rig up. I would put two ground switches on the brake and clutch pedal in a series. Both would kill the cruise control. Safety on clutch pedal to keep engine from revving away when clutch pedal is depressed.
Chris
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

chris401 wrote:Thought of modifying a headlight switch.
Park light position= cruise on

Headlight position (against spring tension for auto return to park)= cruise set

Clockwise twist= resume

With porcelain gutted, bimetal spring and a washer tacked to shaft with a groove for a stationery roll pin or small bolt as a bump stop. I thought of using a hot air choke spring from a carburetor. The resume function would be the trickier to rig up. I would put two ground switches on the brake and clutch pedal in a series. Both would kill the cruise control. Safety on clutch pedal to keep engine from revving away when clutch pedal is depressed.
I like your idea Chris. That would be a unique set up for sure. Keep me posted when you get started on it.
Michelle