straight axle handling

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Justind
United States of America

Re: straight axle handling

Post by Justind »

I don't want a show truck, it is more for a daily and recreation. I have a car to do what else I want to do. But I believe the truck should be fun to drive, not into beating myself to death to drive it 40 miles. I've taken my car on the hot rod power tour and it was a blast. Basically a shop truck build, low buck, using some extra engines and parts I have or have access to. Straight axle is still on the table, but I haven't really found a good solution besides the Toyota setup that is not easy to find replacement parts for. Have seen a mid 70s box mounted ahead of axle but it kinda looks like it may put added stress to the frame. It seems that unfortunately that with this design you can have it one way or the other and not a combination of both.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Does the truck drive as is? Try it like it is and see how you like it. You may not need to spend any money on some fancy front suspension.

The best upgrade I made to my truck was to install more modern seats. That made road trips as comfortable as any modern vehicle I've been in, even with lowered but otherwise stock suspension. With the stock seat, it is not so good, and I imagine that will hold true, even with a better suspension setup.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Justind
United States of America

Post by Justind »

No it is not driveable. That's why I'm not too sure.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Straight axles can drive fine as long as they are not too tight or too loose. Symptoms are the same, they tend to wander a lot and need constant correction. King pins both wear out and get stuck from lack of grease. Your steering box and tie rod ends can also be loose. I re-did a 1954 ford for my sister when she was in high school. She drove the heck out of that truck. They will never feel like a modern vehicle but can be fine to drive.