What a difference He can make

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

oldsmiley
United States of America

What a difference He can make

Post by oldsmiley »

I've owned and drove my truck daily (rain, sleet, or snow) for 26 years. I stopped driving my 64 about 6 years ago, because of gas prices and poor mileage. Now that fuel prices are dropping again, I decided about 2 months ago to get it going again. It's always been SO dependable that it didn't take much to get it back on the road.

I drove it for about 2 weeks, then since it was 16 years ago since I'd gone through it, I decided to tune it up. After installing the plugs, it developed a skip that wasn't there before. Then I replaced the wires, no difference, rotary button & distributor cap, then NOTHING. It wouldn't fire at all. Hummmm......

Long story short, pickup coil, module, and anything else I could think of over the next 3 weeks and STILL nothing. I was telling an employee at the parts store about it and he said don't spend too much money on that distributor, you can buy a NEW one with everything in it for around $80.00. I said give me one then. He did and I went home, put it in, and hit the switch, and NOTHING..... I took it back out, got the #1 plug up, marked my rotary button, dropped it back in, hit the switch, and still nothing....DANG. After 3 more hours of tracing wires, re-timeing and a few other things and nothing.

A little agitated, I stepped away, and my mind was turning and trying to find the problem when it hit me.... THEN, I smiled, bowed my head, closed my eyes, and said LORD with you abiding in me, please forgive me for NOT including you in this, but at 63 years old I've done this hundreds of times, and I was relying on MY knowledge and wisdom this time instead of yours. Lord I'm not having much success here and I'd really appreciate it if you could give me a hand in getting old Blue going. THEN, the very next thing I turned was the KEY and it started right up....HONEST INDIAN. Thank you Lord.

YES, I believe in the creator, and I believe in prayer. Prayer is the most valuable tool that we possess, and seems to be the one we use the least. Invite Him to go with you everywhere. It's better than having a fully stocked tool box. Rick
Michelle
United States of America

Re: What a difference He can make

Post by Michelle »

I totally agree with you Smiley. I pray daily for strength and for everything else. I have been stumped more than once on an ole truck or car and stopped for a few minutes of prayer and got the answer I needed.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I was stopped on the side of I-70 in the westbound side in 2014 after my truck shut off on me. I was just outside of Lawrence, Kansas and actually on an off ramp. Problem was it went uphill rather than downhill so I couldn't coast a ways to a gas station that was a 1/4 mile away. Was no way I was going to push it uphill either. Figured I'd just walk up to the station, get a jug with some gas, and walk back down and get my truck started. Before I did, I sat back down in the cab and just said a prayer for some help. Before I could even raise my head up a buddy of mine pulled over right in front of me and stopped. He helped me get it pulled up to the station and get it started. Since he lives in Texas and I am from Oklahoma we ran together the rest of the way back. God is good - All the time! TR
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

AMEN...Trukrat. I've been there too. If you ever experience a time when you need help, and it doesn't come right away, it's because God is helping me at that moment....and I keep him pretty busy.
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

oldsmiley wrote:I've owned and drove my truck daily (rain, sleet, or snow) for 26 years. I stopped driving my 64 about 6 years ago, because of gas prices and poor mileage. Now that fuel prices are dropping again, I decided about 2 months ago to get it going again. It's always been SO dependable that it didn't take much to get it back on the road.

I drove it for about 2 weeks, then since it was 16 years ago since I'd gone through it, I decided to tune it up. After installing the plugs, it developed a skip that wasn't there before. Then I replaced the wires, no difference, rotary button & distributor cap, then NOTHING. It wouldn't fire at all. Hummmm......

Long story short, pickup coil, module, and anything else I could think of over the next 3 weeks and STILL nothing. I was telling an employee at the parts store about it and he said don't spend too much money on that distributor, you can buy a NEW one with everything in it for around $80.00. I said give me one then. He did and I went home, put it in, and hit the switch, and NOTHING..... I took it back out, got the #1 plug up, marked my rotary button, dropped it back in, hit the switch, and still nothing....DANG. After 3 more hours of tracing wires, re-timeing and a few other things and nothing.

A little agitated, I stepped away, and my mind was turning and trying to find the problem when it hit me.... THEN, I smiled, bowed my head, closed my eyes, and said LORD with you abiding in me, please forgive me for NOT including you in this, but at 63 years old I've done this hundreds of times, and I was relying on MY knowledge and wisdom this time instead of yours. Lord I'm not having much success here and I'd really appreciate it if you could give me a hand in getting old Blue going. THEN, the very next thing I turned was the KEY and it started right up....HONEST INDIAN. Thank you Lord.

YES, I believe in the creator, and I believe in prayer. Prayer is the most valuable tool that we possess, and seems to be the one we use the least. Invite Him to go with you everywhere. It's better than having a fully stocked tool box. Rick
awesome!!!
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

Amen! I bought my truck on eBay nearly 10 years ago. It was in TN nearly 6 hours away. On the way back home, just north of Atlanta, the left front blew and the tire was completely shredded. The truck had no jack or tools, but fortunately, I had brought along my own jack and nearly all of my tools. Unfortunately, neither of my tire irons would reach far enough down into the wheel to reach the lugs. And no socket/socket wrench combination that I brought would work either. Disgusted, I threw my tools into the trunk of the car my wife was driving. I reluctantly decided that I would have to call a tow truck. But, as fate would have it, I had no cell phone coverage.

I sat on the side of the interstate, hundreds of miles from home, completely stumped, wondering what to do. As is so often the case, what should have been my first resort had ended up being my last. I prayed for forgiveness, for traveling mercies, and for any aid the good Lord could send my way.

Within minutes of my prayer, a tow truck pulled over and backed up to the front of my truck. A man climbed out and walked back to me, smiling and putting on work gloves. I said "Howdy" and started explaining my situation. He shook his head and said "No Eng Liss." So I indicated the shredded tire and tried to mime my failed attempts to change it. He went back to his truck and came back with a socket, extension, and wrench. He loosened the lugs and raised the front of my truck with his tow rig while I removed my spare from beneath the bed. Of course, the spare was flat, but the stranger simply pumped it up using his compressor. Then he finished changing the tire, lowered my truck, took off his gloves, and shook my hand. I thanked him profusely and asked God to bless him. I also pulled out a couple of twenties and offered them to him. He smiled and shook his head, said something in a language I didn't understand, and drove away.

I'm convinced that the good Lord sent that good Samaritan to me in my time of need.
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I believe in the Creator and His (first creation) Son Jesus Christ. I commend anyone who goes beyond praise the Lord sayings and actually prays, study the Bible daily and acts upon what they learn. Givin that I believe with all the murder, child abductions and suppression taking place that God did not intervene so much as you likely have a dirty ignition switch from years of sitting. Likely the contacts cleaned themselves the many times you turned the key.
Respectfully,
Chris
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I'm not sure that's the answer. That idea would contradict me driving it everyday for 2 weeks pryor, with NO problems. It wasn't until I decided to put new plugs in it that it developed a skip that wasn't there before. Then everything I did to fix that, didn't work until it finally quit firing completely.

I'll know one day.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

oldsmiley wrote:I'm not sure that's the answer. That idea would contradict me driving it everyday for 2 weeks pryor, with NO problems. It wasn't until I decided to put new plugs in it that it developed a skip that wasn't there before. Then everything I did to fix that, didn't work until it finally quit firing completely.

I'll know one day.
My mistake, I had the events jumbled around. In moments of frustration or anger I say a silent prayer before a tool, word or fist gets thrown. It helps been over 15 years sense I have thrown a tool, not as long with the fist and the words come more often than I would like.
Chris