lots of questions? on parts

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Maverick1965
United States of America

lots of questions? on parts

Post by Maverick1965 »

Hi everyone i have lot of questions on how parts go together..the story is got the truck in pieces now its going back together..
so three questions so far..

1. can i get some pictures of how your felt on your windows installed I'm 99% sure i got it dialed put your help is appreciated.
2. are there windsheild wiper pivot seals? hope I'm saying that right.
3. on the roller assembly on the door there was a putty or sealer matieral around the hole where it comes through? not sure if that needs a seal?
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: lots of questions? on parts

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I will answer #2
Yes there are thin paper like seals that go between the Chrome and the cowl .
Or at least that is where I found what was left of mine. They are available from the usual suspects, Carpenters, LMC, EBay, etc.
I used the chrome as a template and cut new ones from bulk gasket.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Maverick1965
United States of America

Post by Maverick1965 »

ok thanks i like that idea ill cut and trim it.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I cut mine from inner tubes, two per side on the outside. There is a bunch of black sealant that gets put on top
of the window regulator like a shelf it is mentioned in the shop manual, Kinda like gorilla snot.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

#1 are you referring to the 'clip on' felt that goes either side of the glass at the base of the window opening? Or the Bailey Chanel that inserts into he door frame?
Maverick1965
United States of America

Post by Maverick1965 »

not sure the two in the lower channel to the back of the cab
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Its pitch black here now, I'll take some pics in the morning for you.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Maverick1965 wrote:Hi everyone i have lot of questions on how parts go together..the story is got the truck in pieces now its going back together..
so three questions so far..

1. can i get some pictures of how your felt on your windows installed I'm 99% sure i got it dialed put your help is appreciated.
2. are there windsheild wiper pivot seals? hope I'm saying that right.
3. on the roller assembly on the door there was a putty or sealer matieral around the hole where it comes through? not sure if that needs a seal?
First, if you don't have one , get a Dennis Carpenter catalog. Some helpful pictures and info on installing vent division bar in the door. Sorry no pictures of felt, but I do have an answer for the pivot seals. Originals were of a cork material, but available from Dennis Carpenter in rubber now. Although, there are a couple of ideas mentioned that might work better. I like the rubber inner tube idea, but don't like the way that old rubber leaves black streaks. As to the sealant used around the door and window handle shaft. We used to call it dum -dum but is basically like the grey window caulk that comes in rolls, but for automotive use. May be less subject to weather damage and comes in a box in strips roughly 20$ ( takes a long time to use up the whole box). As to whether you need the dum-dum, Yes you do or some kind of seal in these places, something like it was also used on the bolt hole covers on the doors. The reason for the sealer is to keep air out of the cab. This could also be used under the wiper pivots for sealing. One or two other items that might be helpful come from the RV industry. One is the black caulk and one is the grey or white caulk. Both of the caulks come in rolls, The black being thinner, and I've been using the black on my grandsons truck for some things, such as sound deadener between the fender and inner fenders for a sealer. The white or grey caulk I have as yet not used on anything, as of yet and is thicker and softer also non hardening if I remember right. As to the wiper pivots, I will say the seals as sold don't appear to seal very well in my opinion around the wiper shafts, and I will be using and additional sealer there in the future, along with the plastic or cork seal. I don't see how the seals would seal well enough to keep out water otherwise. Close inspection will reveal why I think this way. A non hardening sealer would be best in my opinion, and the gasket keeps metal off metal or paint. Have you made or bought a tool to remove or tighten the wiper nuts? If not, with patience and a piece of pipe you can make a tool, but these are also available on Evilbay for about 20$. I made one and I bought one later.
I don't know how far along with the rebuild of your truck, but sounds like you bought a jigsaw puzzle and there are a lot of little things that you will not know about reassembly of the truck. Also, the quality and usability of some of the aftermarket parts out there are sometimes not so good. Hopefully, the parts bought for your truck are of good quality and the truck was dismantled without forcing anything. I have mentioned before about windshield replacement and the sealer for the windshield gasket. Ford has not made this in many years, but if you have not had the windshield out and seen how sloppily the spot welding was done on these cab in the windshield area you will know the reason this sealant is needed. The sealant is available from 3M , and one tube will do both front and back glass if your careful. Roughly 13$ a tube, and I've seen it advertised to seal Mustang glass. Nasty stuff, and it makes a mess, but well worth the effort to keep moisture out of the cab.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Ok, this what I got. Let me know if you want a different spot.

This is 1 of 2 problem areas. The Bailey channel tends to drop down a little after the windows have been rolled down and up. I may just put a dab of glue in that top corner. Same thing happens inside the door at the opposite end of the window channel. It tends to curl its way out of the track.

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You may have a set of not so good really good window channels, although the chrome bead that is extending past the vent window is caused by bending the glass channel to fit into the door frame, and should be clipped off. More later on this, have an emergency.
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

There are replacement window channels out there that do not have the pop in clips that are supposed to hold the window channel in place. There is also a metal channel down inside the door, that has a metal tab at it's bottom to help prevent the channels from dropping down. All along the upper portion of the channel, there are metal clips which pop into parts of the door to hold the window in place. These may be good channels that have been improperly installed. Removing the channel at this point could damage the channel if not done carefully. I also notice that the cat whiskers don't fit quite right, with the bent area coming out in the wrong place. This looks like the wrong piece for your truck, or a poor replacement part. I believe that earlier trucks also had a stepped up area like the one pictured and those were different and did not fit our trucks. I have also ran into the same problem a time or two with parts I bought off evilbay and not from a known vendor.
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

I got mine from dennis carpenter and they fit like crap.the door weatherstriping,window felts and vent glass weatherstriping all fit nice,just not the run channel on either door.
Maverick1965
United States of America

Post by Maverick1965 »

ok so i got them in correct then..on the windows in the front and back i did them before i seen about the window weld 3m stuff hope it seals.just used rope and had help putting pressure on the other side.. a question in the firewall cover do you all use aftermarket ones or like dynamat or gem style? i so appreciate the help thank you