questian

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

therealjoeshmoe

questian

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

anyone got some pics of what holds the front coil springs in on a 65 f100 2 wheel drive?
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: questian

Post by jamesdfo »

Joe: The bottom is held to the beam with a cup that goes inside the spring, the top sits into the pocket that is riveted to the frame rail, and has a small flat iron strap that bolts to the pocket to retain the spring.

See pics in post below

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14403 ... lease.html

and this one has the exploded view from the Master Parts Catalog
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14555 ... stion.html

James
therealjoeshmoe

i have been driveing my truck for 20 years without the bottom and top holdcoil spring retainers on.. lol you can jack my truck up by the crossmember and the coils will just fall oout..

Image Image Image Image
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

For what it's worth, my '65 didn't have the top retainer strap that are referenced above (or the holes that they would be bolted to in the spring cup/pocket). But it did have a steel strap bent like a hook that bolted to the I-beam and 'hooked' the frame crossmember. This prevented the I-beam from hanging down far enough for the spring to become un-compressed from the spring cup.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

slixtyfive wrote:For what it's worth, my '65 didn't have the top retainer strap that are referenced above (or the holes that they would be bolted to in the spring cup/pocket). But it did have a steel strap bent like a hook that bolted to the I-beam and 'hooked' the frame crossmember. This prevented the I-beam from hanging down far enough for the spring to become un-compressed from the spring cup.
That's how my 65 was.
My 66 has the spring retainers that bolt to the top
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
therealjoeshmoe

so im putting dropped beams on my truck and there is nowhere to put the hook that hooks the frame on... will i be ok the just run no retainers>/?

Image Image Image Image
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Joe: Shouldn't be that hard to make the retainers out of a length of flat bar, even easier if you have a bench vise, or a press......

James