1966 F100 2WD V8

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

pitso

1966 F100 2WD V8

Post by pitso »

Hi Folks
Posted this question before but can't get a clear answer that seems to work for my truck. I'm
Searching for repops for a radiator core support and inner fenders for a 1966 F100 2WD V8
LMC, Macs, NPD all have different opinions and advice. Can someone tell me which
Repop numbers will work with the least amount of rework.
bruceandersson

Re: 1966 F100 2WD V8

Post by bruceandersson »

As far as I know no one makes a real 65/66 radiator core no the inner fenders. You could buy the 61-64 core and move the brackets the front of the inner fenders mount to from your old core to the new one.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

It is best to get familiar with the different styles of radiator support, but there are other issues involved in the selection of a support besides the support. Despite what some may say the inner fenders are not the same either from 65 to 66. The 65 support is the only one I know of that comes really close to the 66 support and this is supplied by Obsolete parts in Oklahoma City. I bought two of these the last time I was there as shipping is costly ( over 100$) and have these here in southern Illinois. The inner fender most likely could be modified to work but I don't know that for a fact. Main difference in the support at the two wings sticking out from the support that the radiator mounts to. On the 66 , the radiator mounts directly to the support. In addition the battery box was changed in 66 and there are extra mounting holes for the 66 batter box. Since tooling to make a support is costly, no one has made the 66 to the best of my knowledge. Used 66 supports come up on evilbay once in awhile and usually run around 300$ plus shipping. I have not seen a NOS stock one for sale in a long time and suspect if one turns up price will be about 1,000$. I have one but it is not for sale even at that price, since I have a use for it. To the best of my knowledge, no one has plans to make the 66 at this time. One word of caution, repop's are sometimes not always a good fit, and I think most come from the same place which is most likely China. Although I have the two 65's supports, I have not as yet tried to modify one to work on a 66 , but believe it is possible to do this. Also, I have noticed that not all that I've found on the 66 trucks are exactly the same, but perhaps I am just getting the two years mixed up. It is interesting that Ford kept evolving these 1961to 66 trucks all thru the production years. The changes made were an attempt to make the trucks better in some ways. Tom ( junkyard dog) would be a good source for a support and information that you need, as he deals in a lot of used parts and has dismantled many, many of these trucks.
If I can shed anymore light on this for you or you have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Rich
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

What is your location pitso?
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

pitso wrote:Hi Folks
Posted this question before but can't get a clear answer that seems to work for my truck. I'm
Searching for repops for a radiator core support and inner fenders for a 1966 F100 2WD V8
LMC, Macs, NPD all have different opinions and advice. Can someone tell me which
Repop numbers will work with the least amount of rework.
Going with the previous comments: My 1965 F100 had mismatched 65/66 support and finders. I don't remember which was which but the finders hung down lower missing the very bottom bolt hole of the inner finder by 5/8".

EDIT: Meant to type 5/8".
Last edited by chris401 on February 13, 2017, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Pitso, the reason I asked your location is sometimes make it easy to refer you to a source for parts etc if we know your whereabouts. May want to add that to your profile. :cheers: