Bleeding power brakes

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

btalley63

Bleeding power brakes

Post by btalley63 »

Hello All,
I have a 65 f100 that I think has been put on a later model frame. Anyway, it has front disks and power steering.
I've bled lots of brakes, but never any power disk. Is there anything different about power brakes and the calipers?

I also looks like it is missing a hose from the booster. The hose from the booster goes where? Does it need a vacuum?

Thanks for any info.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: Bleeding power brakes

Post by orangeRcode »

From what I've read you need at least 18" of vacuum. If you have too large of cam it may affect your vacuum which could require an electric pump. Make sure you get vacuum hose and not fuel hose. They look similar but are designed for different purposes. Typically you would get your vacuum from the intake manifold.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Just noticed I didn't answer your initial question.

I always start with the farthest caliper from your master cylinder. In the past I made one of my kids pump and hold the brakes while I opened the bleeder. I've found that gravity bleeding is very effective and easier albeit a bit more time consuming. I've got a small bottle with hose that fits on the bleeder, I crack the bleeder just enough for it to drip. I let it go long enough that you have clear, clean fluid with no air pockets in line. Close the bleeder and move on the next furthest caliper. Make sure your master cylinder doesn't go dry. You may want to bench bleed your master cylinder too if its new. Good luck!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I bench bleed the MC before mounting it on the booster, then bleed as usual.

Most people pick up the vacuum at the base of the carb or from a carb spacer.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
btalley63

Post by btalley63 »

Thanks for the info!
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

Yes , the vacuum booster needs vacuum. Normally the hose is attached to a nipple that's screwed into an intake manifold runner.
Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special