Interior Paint

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Michelle
United States of America

Interior Paint

Post by Michelle »

I am finally getting ready to make the tranny swap from the New Process to the C6 in my 65. I have just about all the parts if not all the parts rounded up to make the swap. The one thing I am having problems with it finding the correct semi gloss red paint to paint the steering column with. When I built the truck six of eight years ago I was able to find the correct interior red that perfectly matched the Rangoon red on the exterior of the truck. However I am unable to find it now. I had tried sever shades of red before I finally found the right one. I still have several cans of red paint but can't find and can't remember which shade of red I got last time. It was in an aerosol can. I have ordered a can that is supposed to be the correct interior color red for a 65 Mustang that has the J code Rangoon red, but it is a bright red and just does not look right. The Rangoon red has a hint of orange in it. I did find one old paint can that was empty that I suspect was the correct color probably the reason I saved an empty can but I can not find the brand anyplace on the internet. I have checked all the usual places like Dennis Carpenter, Mac's, numerous Mustang parts sites and can't find it. So I am sure that it is no longer produced. Anyone have any ideas?
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Re: Interior Paint

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

i looked for some matching red paint a year or two ago and looked at all the auto parts stores walmart and everywhere else i could to find the matching color. i eventually did find it at Tractor Supply. IH red was the exact color i was looking for. their spray paint is good quality albeit it takes a while to dry however.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

SLICKCOLLECTOR wrote:i looked for some matching red paint a year or two ago and looked at all the auto parts stores walmart and everywhere else i could to find the matching color. i eventually did find it at Tractor Supply. IH red was the exact color i was looking for. their spray paint is good quality albeit it takes a while to dry however.

jim
Good to know, I picked up their white to spray the interior of my son's 65.
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I painted the interior of my truck with some paint I got at.....
Tru-value..... lady mixed it for me....
It was cheap and matched better than the high dollar stuff
I just took in my ashtray & she scanned it under a machine
Year & a half ... still looks great
Not sure how it would last on the outside
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Michelle, the paint name has been changed at PPG to Carnival red which I believe is actually a GM color. Hope that helps.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

64 f100 wrote:Michelle, the paint name has been changed at PPG to Carnival red which I believe is actually a GM color. Hope that helps.
I checked with the PPG people and they have the Carnival red but they don't have the semi gloss interior paint.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Michele, it's been awhile since I messed with trying different approaches to different kinds of affects , but there is an additive for making paint semi gloss. Or at least there used to be. I still have metal flake additive from 30 years ago in a jar somewhere, but will never use it again for a number of reasons, but the additive I was referring to may have been from the same time line, and I'm surprised that PPG paint shop you talked to was not able to supply the paint with something similar.

Rich
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

I can recall reading articles in Mustang Monthly about adding a "flattener agent" to gloss paint when recreating the semi-gloss finish on some of the Mach 1 or Boss 302 hoods.

If I can find one of those articles, I will forward the information on.

Finding it will be fun, as I have subscribed to MM since the "70's".

Another alternative might be to use a two step paint... i.e. a color coat followed by a semi-gloss clear coat.
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I am up for anything at this time.
Michelle