Need help!!! May have mounted a motor wrong?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cwindsor

Need help!!! May have mounted a motor wrong?

Post by cwindsor »

Ok here I here is the back story a crown vic swap with motor mounts from here http://ritcheytrucksuspension.com/produ ... member-kit

The problem is when I mounted the motor and welded it up I noticed the motor is at 10 degrees tilting back.

I climbed under the car and the tail shaft yoke is also at 10 degrees... I checked the rear end yoke at its at 1 or 2 degrees.

The front is lowered cause of the crown vic and the rear is still stock height..?

Does this mean the motor is going to need to be cut out and reweld the mounts?

Pics...

mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Need help!!! May have mounted a motor wrong?

Post by mercuryv8 »

I don't think it will be a problem. I know the rear axle pinion and the engine are not supposed to be on the same incline. Hopefully someone will know the correct recommend angles.

There is an app for that. Trimec makes a drive line angle app where you hold your phone into the parts of the drive line.

Nic

I've been doing some reading on the HAMB. People are using numbers like 3 degrees. Maybe 10 is excessive. Most seem to say carb mounting flange should be level.

Nic
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I always make the carb mounting flange level.

That said, it is what dictates your crankshaft/tranny out put angle.

You want the rearend to mirror that angle. You don't want a perfectly straight line from output to rearend, if the tailshaft is pointed down at 3* the rearend should be pointed up at 3* but each u-joint should have angle in them. The output shaft and rearend are on different planes but with equal and complementary angles.

I think you have way too much angle in the engine. The angles from horizontal mean nothing except the carb pad. After the carb pad is level to maybe a maximum of 2* down at the back (all at ride height front and rear), then you can measure the angles of the output and rearend. Shim the rearend with angle shims if necessary.

JMO,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
CHICOF100

Post by CHICOF100 »

Off topic, but necessary for this type of post.
Inserting a "Degree Symbol" " ° ° "

Windows

•Option 1: Hold down the ALT key and then enter the number 248 or 0176 on your numeric keypad
•Option 2: In Microsoft Office programs such as Microsoft Word, you can use the Insert > Symbol feature to add the symbol

Mac

•Press Option+Shift+8
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

CHICOF100 wrote:Off topic, but necessary for this type of post.
Inserting a "Degree Symbol" " ° ° "

Windows

•Option 1: Hold down the ALT key and then enter the number 248 or 0176 on your numeric keypad
•Option 2: In Microsoft Office programs such as Microsoft Word, you can use the Insert > Symbol feature to add the symbol

Mac

•Press Option+Shift+8
Wasn't aware of that shortcut, worked very well.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Using the driveshaft yoke, as you have it pictured, is not a reliable way to measure that angle. When pulled that far out, it can wiggle quite a lot. Best to check that angle on the end of the output shaft or tail housing.

Similar for the rear end. If the part you have the protractor sitting on is not exactly perpendicular, then it will indicate an incorrect angle.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
third66go

Post by third66go »

Try this Google search: billavista Spicer Driveshaft Installation Techniques

Lots of good stuff at billavista.com...
Koolkatt
United States of America

Post by Koolkatt »

Drive shaft angles between the engine and drive shaft/drive shaft and rear axle should never be more than 3*. U joints start to bind after a angle more than a 3* differential. Also the engine and rear axle should be optimally at the same angle /tilt. Similar to this ---- \\\\ ___ .
Koolkatt
United States of America

Post by Koolkatt »

After rereading the posts, a best place to measure the engine/trans angle is at the intake manifold with the carb removed. But another great place is the trans pan flange or the bottom of the pan if it is parallel with the pan mounting flange, that way you can get all of your angles from under the truck at one time. I learned all of this the hard way plus 25 years as a Ford dealer wrench.