Brake Master and Booster Assembly

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shenanigans

Brake Master and Booster Assembly

Post by Shenanigans »

Hey guys and Gals, so I've run into a bit of a snag on my build and need a little help. But first a little backstory.

Currently I've swapped out the front suspension with a 03 CV, kept as close to stock ride height as possible (2" spacer on bottom of frame, not top). During the process I managed to damage my brake master and booster due to the fact that the end of the master was about a 1/4" (if not closer) from my carb/intake. After I finished the install I noticed that my 223 oil pan was too close to the crossmember, naturally I swapped to a rear sump pan and yes you read that right I'm running the 223. To swap out the pans I needed to lift the motor and take out the old one, either that or drop the crossmember yet again. While I lifted the motor the carb/intake pushed into the master and I did not notice which caused the damage.

That's where you guys come in. Is there something low profile I can use for front disk, rear drum brakes? Or is there something that I can run that wont require the vacuum booster and simply run a master cylinder? If so I would like some info on it, Make, Model and Year and anything else you think I may need so I can purchase, install and move forward. I need something that fits within 13" between firewall and carb/intake, lower the profile the happier I will be. I'd appreciate any help I can get, thanks.
Rebuilding Flaresides one STEP at a time.
1961 Flareside 223
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=24281
MN66
United States of America

Re: Brake Master and Booster Assembly

Post by MN66 »

Hydroboost is fairly compact. Some extra plumbing involved, do you have a more recent PS pump, or do you know if you can use a saginaw PS pump on a 223?

Regards,
Corey

1966 F250 LWB
Koolkatt
United States of America

Post by Koolkatt »

If you can live with manual brakes, here is what I did on my '62 uni when I installed disc brakes on the front. I sourced a '67 F100 master cylinder and bought a combo valve for a '73 Chevy truck from Jegs.com. Everything bolted right up to the firewall and plumbed everything just like the picture shown, also my valve looks just like the one in the picture. The truck drives and stops fantastic with plenty of road feel from the pedal.
Koolkatt
United States of America

Post by Koolkatt »

After re-looking at the picture. I mounted my valve opposite of how that one was mounted. My valve has the line for the rear brakes coming out the front and I used a fitting either from a GM vehicle that I had laying around or I bought it from the NAPA store, I can't remember. NAPA has a great supply of fittings, usually.
Take my advise and do what YOU want!
Good luck
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

MN66 wrote:Hydroboost is fairly compact.
What mounting plate did you use?
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Blackwaterforge wrote:
MN66 wrote:Hydroboost is fairly compact.
What mounting plate did you use?
I used the one that came with the hydroboost unit. I had to modify is by pressing out the studs that were mounted in the plate from it's original GM application. If I recall correctly, 3 of the holes lined up with my existing firewall mounts and I just needed to drill the 4th hole.
1966 F250 LWB
Shenanigans

Post by Shenanigans »

Thanks Cory, currently I'm not running a PS pump and if I can get away with it I wont be, so the hydro boost wont work out for me but will keep it in mind later down the road if that's the direction I take.

Thanks as well KoolKatt, I'll look into the 67 master. Are you running a booster, if so do you know how long the entire assembly is?

Thanks again. :D
Last edited by Shenanigans on March 24, 2017, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebuilding Flaresides one STEP at a time.
1961 Flareside 223
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=24281
cwindsor

Post by cwindsor »

Off topic...

In the middle of my Crown Vic swap into a 64 F100.

Have you finished you steering yet? If so what did you do...? I bought a CPP column and going to go from there.