1965 Camper Special Question?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

C.G.
United States of America

1965 Camper Special Question?

Post by C.G. »

In 1965, did the F100's have a Camper Special option? I have my first truck since 1980 with Camper Special badges and have wondered if they were changed out.
It is a long bed, 352, truck four speed, Detroit Locker Rear end (Dealer Installed), and I think about nine leaf springs.
Thanks for the help.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: 1965 Camper Special Question?

Post by slick4x4 »

Looks like it . . . .
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

The Camper Specials also had a tailpipe extension
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Check for the CS only options, dana posi rear end, heavier springs, side tool box and extra wiring and a relay for a camper on rear of drivers inner fender.
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

I do have a side tool box, and heavier springs. I will look for the relay and wiring.
Silly question, how do I identify a Dana rear Axle? I just assumed it was a Ford 9" in my F100.
I think I also have the paperwork where a Detroit Locker Differential was installed at the Dealer.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The dana axle has a stamped pan on the rear of the axle housing to access the gears, the nine inchers have bolts on the front where the whole 'chunk' can be removed. There should be an axle code on the door plate.
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

Thanks for the help on this. That clears it up.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Detroit Locker is seldom found in a Dana. The Camper Special package did not include a limited slip (nor "Posi"). Wiring was dependent on perceived use; some had a harness for slide-in campers , some had the HD towing harness, some had none of the above. Side tool box WAS included in the package, but could be ordered as a stand-alone option, as could the Spicer limited slip. When you ordered a limited slip from the factory, you got the Spicer; If converted at a dealership, it is likely a 9". There were two engine options for the Camper Special in '65, the 300 six, and the 352. HD eleven leaf springs were part of the F100 package, and automatics and four speeds were the popular choices. HD cooling was also a part of the base package, with a gigantic radiator on both six and 352.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

I definitely have a Ford 9". I will look this weekend but I think I have the paperwork from the dealer adding the Detroit Locker to the differential. It also has the big radiator, 352 engine, side tool box, four speed transmission, and the eleven leaf springs.
Thank you for the help and information.