How mutch to the value is a ranger worth

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

29rpu

How mutch to the value is a ranger worth

Post by 29rpu »

Ok I know that it's hard to price without pics but photobucket is not letting me post pics I will work on it tomarrow. I just pick up a 66 long bed ranger (t81 body code) been sitting sins 2009. I haven't decided to keep it or not but for insurance how mutch more dose it add to the value of the truck being a ranger with all the right hardware. I have owned over 20 slicks and this is my first true ranger. I honestly thought I would of never own one. I will post pics ASAP.
64 f100

Re: How mutch to the value is a ranger worth

Post by 64 f100 »

Like anything to do with the classic car hobby, value is hard to determine. Since the Ranger package is hard to find, and to some may not mean much as there are not that many that turn up, pricing is a mystery. There has been for a long time a Ranger on the Kansas City Craigslist. Price for that Ranger is at 10K and has been since the present owner bought the truck. I remember seeing the truck advertised at about 12,000.$ before he bought it, and was advertised as having a 428 motor at that time. Since it is not advertised with the 428 now, I can only assume it no longer is in the truck. At the time the truck was advertised for 12K, it was a fairly sharp truck. The present owner is a member here. I've also noticed the truck looks to have deteriorated in the pictures being posted in more recent times, but pictures lie, so it is hard to tell. The truck still looks solid but could benefit from a repaint, which it could have used when the present owner bought it. I have seen other rangers advertised in the same price range as regular trucks and not any higher than most. Short bed trucks bring more in most instances, or at least seem to be more in demand. My opinion is that someday the Ranger package may make a difference in price if the truck is truly a Ranger, but not all that much at the present time that I know of. Should make a difference but frankly I can't seem to tell from what I've seen. Perhaps statistics from the big classic auctions might show something, but I doubt those figures will mean much in the normal scheme of things. I also have a long bed ranger, and tried selling it on Evilbay not long after I got it. The result was not very impressive, and did not meet the reserve of 1500 at the time. This was about 10 years ago when this auction went off, perhaps longer ago. It's been stored in a building since that time. And no 1500 will not touch it today, although I have not done anything to it. Does the Ranger package add value, it should but from what I've seen, I can't see much if any difference in pricing.
29rpu

Post by 29rpu »

Here's some pics of the Ranger I just picked up. That's what I figured on the price that most people don't know that they actually did make factory rangers. The truck of course has a bucket seat and consul black interior green paint original and 352 V8 with a three speed on the column and overdrive

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Looks like a really stand up old truck. Luckily upholstery replacement is not a problem and cheaper than a bench seat. Hopefully the overdrive is in working order. Need parts for overdrive I may have what you need. Some parts are no longer easily found since Borg-Warner sold the patents to someone else. Freewheeling clutch is scarce as hens teeth and can be easily destroyed by hammering it with the transmission in overdrive if you have a well built engine. As you most likely know the governor lets the overdrive kick in at about 30 to 35 mph. If you hammer it in first gear and really get on it, run it to 35 to 45 before shifting, then not only do you catch second gear on the shift but you will also catch overdrive when shifting. With a well built 390 it will destroy the cage on the freewheeling clutch rollers. Luckily I had more transmissions but it took me some time to find a new freewheeling clutch. Part number is revised to a C5AZ number but individual parts were late 40's Lincoln Mercury part numbers. The cage I think was of later design. As you know solenoids are a very valuable commodity also, and a major source of problems with the overdrive. I grew up with overdrives, and personally like the idea for a number of reasons. Just remember, if you park the truck on a hill in overdrive it will roll off. AS we al know emergency brakes on these truck usually don't work well if at all. Parking with the truck in gear is a normal thing, but it cost me 400$ because mine rolled off and put a six inch dent in a plastic bumper. I paid out of pocket to keep it off my insurance. Just something to remember.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Looks like a great truck. The ranger seat pattern is available from the bronco suppliers as it is not the same as the mustang.