1966 f100 with bronco instrument cluster amp gauge question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

1966f100
United States of America

1966 f100 with bronco instrument cluster amp gauge question

Post by 1966f100 »

The bronco cluster came with an amp gauge that you pass a wire thru the loop on it. I get that the starting point of this wire is at the solenoid where the battery connects. Since this a F100 and not a bronco where do I terminate the other end of this wire? thanks in advance for any help.
bruceandersson

Re: 1966 f100 with bronco instrument cluster amp gauge quest

Post by bruceandersson »

This loop picks up the current flow. The wire works the same as a normal amp gauge. Hot goes from battery (or is it the alternator?) to a terminal block on passenger inner fender where a large gauge wire is also connected. This wire goes through the loop and back to the other terminal on the fender block which is also connected to hot side of the solenoid. In effect you take all the current your truck is using through the wire. On the stock truck gauge the loop is inside and you hook to two terminals.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 1966 f100 with bronco instrument cluster amp gauge quest

Post by Toyz »

Look at Keith's recently colorized diagrams on Fordification.info. . The routing for the "loop" ammeter is the same as that of the "pass-thru" ammeter, from battery terminal of starter relay, thru a terminal block (circuit breaker on some applications), to the ignition and light switches. If you were to simply make a circuitous wring "loop" back to the relay, there would be very little "draw", let alone circuit power.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul