Need factory radio dimensions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FORDification
United States of America

Need factory radio dimensions

Post by FORDification »

Just curious...has anyone ever tried installing a Slick radio in '67 truck? The '67 model has a much smaller radio than the '68-up trucks, and it just dawned on me that the Slick radio is also smaller. Wondering if they'd swap with no mods needed. If so, it would provide a solution for '67 truck owners who want a custom radio, since they're available for Slicks...and they can't use a '68-up unit.(Can't check with my '62 since it doesn't have a factory radio.)

If anyone has a factory radio out of their truck and would be willing to take some measurements, that would be extremely helpful. Length, width, height and shaft spacing.
Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Need factory radio dimensions

Post by jamesdfo »

Keith: Below is a hand drawn diagram done by Brian a few years back, no actual radio physical dimensions, but the dimensions for drilling the dash should give you some clues for the shaft center to center dimensions....

as originally seen in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34467&p=288976
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

FORDification wrote:Just curious...has anyone ever tried installing a Slick radio in '67 truck? The '67 model has a much smaller radio than the '68-up trucks, and it just dawned on me that the Slick radio is also smaller. Wondering if they'd swap with no mods needed. If so, it would provide a solution for '67 truck owners who want a custom radio, since they're available for Slicks...and they can't use a '68-up unit.(Can't check with my '62 since it doesn't have a factory radio.)

If anyone has a factory radio out of their truck and would be willing to take some measurements, that would be extremely helpful. Length, width, height and shaft spacing.

I have the radio out of my dash. I will hunt it up tomorrow and get the dimensions here for you.
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

Here are some tape measured dimensions with pictures of a factory slick radio. Ohhh! You meant an American radio, not the Canadian deluxe radio. Sorry I guess I cannot post pics on this site and I do not do online photo sharing. If you send me an email address I can send pics to you that way.

6.5 inches drivers to passenger across the face.

5.75 inches deep from the front of the faceplate to the rear of the chassis. It does not include the knobs, pushbuttons, or wiring harness.

2 3/16 inch high ( thick) on the chassis.

You need to drill two holes for the shaft knobs and 5 holes for the pushbuttons.
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

Gravemetal: Thanks for those dimensions! You can send pics to me at admin at fordification dot com.

I just got some really great pics of the '67-only radio and posted them here, to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/67radio.htm
Keith
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

A reference shot of the dash with the radio holes but no installed radio would be great too. ;)
Keith