First drive in the old Ford

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64shortbed

First drive in the old Ford

Post by 64shortbed »

I've been away from this site for quite a while. I've enjoyed browsing for a while tonight and checking out the project trucks some are working on. This group of enthusiasts are a great bunch that have been encouraging and helpful to me in the past.

Just thought I'd share with you all: We are breaking in a new driver around here. Number two for us. My daughter will get her license this year and so it was time a few months back to teach her to drive a 'stick'. There is no better manual transmission to learn on than an old truck as I told her, if you can drive this truck, there is not a modern manual transmission that you can't handle. We think that driving a manual will make them more attentive drivers (certainly makes it more difficult to mess with a cell phone).

It was an hour well spent with a little burnt rubber, mild whip-lash, and hopefully some good memories.

-don
'64 F100 262-I6
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: First drive in the old Ford

Post by shipwrecked »

Manual steering, manual transmission and drum breaks certainly have you "drive". That's awesome your girl is learning on the truck.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ksWKOy665o when life was much simpler.

Danny

sorry its not a ford !!
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

I'm glad to see this. I required both my young drivers to learn to drive a manual. In fact, my oldest daughter like it so much she insisted I get her a manual for her first car. She has been driving an 04 Premium V6 Mustang for 5 years now. Her younger sister also learned on my old manual trans Mustang. Our youngest, my son will be 14 soon and will learn to drive on my 66 f100. 3 on the tree baby! That adds a bit of intrigue to mix with it being a column shift. He will get it just like I did learning to drive my dad's old 62 Dodge d100 with a slant 6 and column shift. I agree, it makes them a much better driver. In addition, I believe it is an important life skill. You wouldn't believe the number of kids now that can't drive a manual transmission.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

That's cool, they sure have grown, nice to see you back.
Will you be going to dream machines in half moon bay?
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!