Freeze plug ??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

Freeze plug ??

Post by Mr. Jones »

What is the correct plug for a 352,was informed some fit then pop out under pressure.... part # and vendor would be helpful also.Are they all steel and plated or any made of all brass????
Thanks
Dan
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: Freeze plug ??

Post by orangeRcode »

I've put both in mine last summer when I went through it. Originally installed steel ones I got at NAPA. The original ones they showed as obsolete and replaced by these. I posted pics on a particular FE FB page and was lambasted for installing them. I was told they would leak and pop out because they were 1/64" smaller than the original ones. I found what was supposed to be the correct size on rockauto.com in brass and pulled out the new ones and installed them. Haven't had any issues but I doubt I would have had with the first ones either.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Re: Freeze plug ??

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I've heard that brass are supposed to be better because of rusting. The OEM ones in my '67 are steel. One of them rusted a pinhole leak on me last year and I had a heck of a time finding the correct size locally at parts houses searching by make and model.

Long story short I searched Dorman somehow by size ( 1 49/64") and got Dorman expansion plug 555-036
http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetai ... me=555-036

The local O'reillys had it. Popped the old one out, put some sealant on the new one for good measure, and in it went. No leaks yet, almost 2k on it :thumright:

'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL