3 speed manual transmission

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

3 speed manual transmission

Post by shipwrecked »

All, I am itching to build my 223 to get it into the truck before assembling my front clip.

The transmission needs to be reassembled. I was putting in a speedo gear a while back and noticed the bearing retainer was cracked so that sent me off looking for a replacement piece, got it but got sidetracked by everything else. Getting everything aligned was a pain and I need help.

Anyway got any reference books to assemble one? I might just go down to a local shop and have the, do it, but would like another shot at it.

Pretty sure it's a 3.03 3speed- no overdrive. Wasin the 63 when I bought it. Shifting in first was tough but didn't grind.

Suggestions?

Yes I know, I'm all over the place with this project.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Re: 3 speed manual transmission

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Per my 1961 Shop manual for hard shifting - check clutch pedal free travel, check linkage, worn parts in shift housing or defective synchronizers, or improper lubricant in the trans.

My 63 shifts hard into first if I'm moving at all, and my friends 62 won't shift into first if the truck is in motion. Maybe it's a common wear point?

If you want to PM me your email I can send you pics of the 3 speed transmission section of my manual. It's not super technical but it might be helpful enough so that you don't have to take it to a shop.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL