64 ABOVE RAIN GUTTER RUST OUT...ANY EXPERIENCE FIXING?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61sleepercab
United States of America

64 ABOVE RAIN GUTTER RUST OUT...ANY EXPERIENCE FIXING?

Post by 61sleepercab »

Sleeping Beauty, My 64 F100 project has one trouble spot in the cab. The roof panel has sweated over time and has gotten thin or rusted out above the rain gutter edge. The rain gutter itself is intact and the rust is between the gutter edge and the roof crease above the door. My repair idea so far is to lay down a starter mig bead at the base where the gutter and roof meet and then weld in a patch in the area. I have seen copper spoons of sheets as heat shields for sheet work.Rust is worst at the back end of the cab. ANY ONE DO ROOF EDGE RUST REPAIR ABOVE THE DRIP RAIL???? THANKS MARKImageImageImage
61sleepercab
United States of America

Re: 64 ABOVE RAIN GUTTER RUST OUT...ANY EXPERIENCE FIXING?

Post by 61sleepercab »

Sleeping Beauty is a Texas built truck shipped to Arizona branch for sale. How she got to West Virginia is a mystery . Last inspection sticker was 1995. She is about as rust free as any local truck except for rust out from bed leaves and internal rust from sweating of the cab inside.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I had the same problem in mine. I just took my time. I am no pro- once I was done welding, I put short strand fiberglass body filler on it. Your never know it was there.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I've repaired these areas with patches and my mig welder. Make sure you cut all the thin metal out, you'll just blow holes in it with the mig if its not the same thickness as your patch. If you fill in your location in your profile, someone may be able to recommend a shop in your area that could fix it.
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

i am in Wet Virginia. I did mig work on a Scout II so I have some practice. Between myself and my buddy who worked in a body shop will tackle the patch job. Thanks for the tips.Mark