Exhaust Control Valve 352

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mojave922
United States of America

Exhaust Control Valve 352

Post by Mojave922 »

Started up my newly installed 390 with original 352 exhaust manifolds with exhaust control valve below the driver side manifold. Ran the engine at idle for about 15 minutes (thermostat had opened) but the exhaust control valve never opened. I'm not familiar with these valves or their purpose, and it may have been missing some parts/springs for all I know. The valve moves freely and has a return spring action that's working, for what that's worth. How long should that valve take to come open?

Drove the truck a bit yesterday and it sputtered when the throttle was cranked open. Could that closed valve been to blame?

I live in a mild climate. Could I just wire the valve open? I would have removed it altogether but then exhaust pipe wouldn't fit, and was looking to avoid unnecessary cash outlay.

Thanks for any input.
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
William-in-St George

Re: Exhaust Control Valve 352

Post by William-in-St George »

If you can open the valve cold by hand and it closes, it's working as it should. The bi-metal spring relaxes when hot and allows exhaust gases out with out back-pressure. This valve when closed forces hot exhaust gas through the intake manifold to heat the incoming air/fuel mixture and makes for a smoother running engine when cold. Manual choke I assume? Yes you can tie it open and in a mild climate this will not have a negative effect on cold engine performance. FWIW
William-in-St. George