Another fix question from PO's

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

AlsRyd66
United States of America

Another fix question from PO's

Post by AlsRyd66 »

Seems one of the PO's used a 65 radiator core support and modified it to fit the square inner fenders. Being a novice on slicks, I got a 66 core replacement. No issue yet. Now I go out and get the radiator tested, leak fixed, painted an ready to install. Find out the radiator is not for the 66 as the radiator extension brackets are on the old core support and not on the radiator as the 66's are. The old extensions are rotten out. Do they make repop's for the radiator extension brackets to bolt or weld onto the radiator or am I going to have to get another radiator?
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher from The Outlaw Josie Wales
"We all go a little mad sometimes" - Norman Bates
64 f100

Re: Another fix question from PO's

Post by 64 f100 »

You may have other problems also, besides the radiator brackets. I assume you need the two brackets off the side of the radiator that soldier to the top and bottom tanks, and yes, those can be replaced but I doubt new ones can be had. I may have a set of used ones I would sell. In addition, you will need a 66 battery box, and you may have to have different inner fenders as these are not all the same on 65 to 66. The 65 used the 66 style of inner fenders and mounted the same but there were differences, I've ran into this problem before. If, you need more help I suggest you PM me and I will send email address, as I will need pictures of what it is you need, before I can say for sure I have what you need. The 65/6 radiator support are different in radiator mounting and battery box mounting, the 66 battery box mount has an additional longer support and extra bolt holes for more support right next to the radiator. The 65 support had a hold over on radiator mounting brackets which was a hold over from 64 and earlier. Namely the two wings extending back from the support to which the radiator mounted to. Your front clip was most likely replaced with used parts sometime in the past.
kelwar

Re: Another fix question from PO's

Post by kelwar »

If it's an original or original style V8 rad you can unsolder the brackets and swap them side to side had to do this with my dads truck ended up with a recored 65 rad for his 66. It's a pain to do but not too bad only took maybe an hr or so to do.