FNG from Texas

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

agjames96
United States of America

Re: FNG from Texas

Post by agjames96 »

Not running and PO stated that it hasn't ran in at least a dozen years. He didn't even have a key to it. I ordered a switch and key cylinder after looking all over the truck for it. Found it after the fact in the corner of the dash. bang.gif

Could turn over engine by jumping solenoid, so I knew engine was not locked up. Once I had key, tried to get it to fire. No luck, so after new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, solenoid and battery cables she fired right up. Didn't do a thing to the carb.
1964 F100 Flareside, all original w/ Y Block 292
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

The old y look to be in an unmolested state of condition. I think it would be cool to keep it close to that. Your call of course. That air cleaner is original, they get tossed aside a lot.

I believe that sticker on the truck doesn't mean it was an airport service truck in Tulsa OR a "government" vehicle. My dads cars and trucks also used those stickers. He was a pilot and mechanic and that sticker allowed you access in and around the airport. So, the owner could have used it that way too. Not sure of this but something to consider.
At any rate WELCOME.

Also noticed the back of the seat is in good condition. It could also be saved as well if you are up to it.
You can find lots of info on Y-blocksforever.com. I have several yblock engines and have had great fun and success with them. It sounds smooth and pretty quiet in the video. Enjoy!
agjames96
United States of America

Post by agjames96 »

So you think it is like a parking or entry sticker and that it is just the sticker that was "property of the Tulsa Airport Authority"?

What sold me on the truck was the originality. Almost everything is there and the way it came from the factory (except for the grille of course).
1964 F100 Flareside, all original w/ Y Block 292
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I recall my dad having those stickers on his vehicles and he was not an airport employee. It allowed hem to travel around airport property and gate entries. But like I said I'm no authority on this.

I do like the originality of your old truck it has had some abuse, but they just used it for what it was for. I see stuff on the firewall and the wiring that has the original paper tags, the wiring hasn't been spliced up and is still heading in all the proper directions, etc. It could also mean they were one of those owners that never opened the hood! Let's hope not. From the sound of it running, it's fine. You'll probably be learning how to change a rear main seal on it sometime soon. :) Also there is a good tutorial on Youtube on how to set solid lifters on a Y block by Tim McMaster. It's a good method I think. Also might want to pick up the book#SA257 "FORD Y-Block Engines-How to Rebuild and Modify by Charles Morris. On Ebay.

Here's mine. hope this works? http://flic.kr/p/UjMZWh
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

You will be surprised how well it will look after some rubbing compound and elbow grease.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

Cool truck, Ag. This is a good site to waste a lot of time. (pssst... it's Matt)
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Looks like we've already established it's a '64, but the floor step trim would be further evidence to support that conclusion.

Welcome aboard!
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

That's what I did, back last fall. I bought a 65 long bed styleside for 1300.00. This truck hadn't been started since 1972. Brought it home, fresh gas, points & plugs, and it fires right up runs like a charm. Idles good, and accelertates good too.

NOT that I'd attempt to drive on them except around on my property, but all 4 flat tires have been holding air since I brought it home.