351W in a 65 F100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ponypoor
United States of America

351W in a 65 F100

Post by ponypoor »

Well getting around to working on my 65. I am restoring it to use to pull a vintage travel trailer so I decided on a 351W backed with an AOD figuring the AOD would work nice with the stock 3:98 gears in the rear end. Found out Ford apparently never put the early AOD behind a 351 and the flexplate for the AODE has the wrong depth and caused the converter to bottom against the pump and bind up. Solution is to use the flexplate for an early 302/ 351-400. They all use the 28oz imbalance. As for exhaust I didn't want to use the stock manifolds. After some trial and error attempts and a few returns to Summit Racing found the shorty headers for a 94/95 SN95 Mustang fit real nice. I was lucky to find a set of used Headman Headers real cheap. The engine came out of a 91 F150 with 8000 miles on a rebuild, but an icy road, a hill and a large tree hitting square on the left side frame rail totaled the truck. Being old school the EFI is gone in favor of the old dependable 4 barrel. I am keeping the serpentine belt setup though and changing to a crossflow radiator. This is because the belt tensioner is right inline with the inlet of the original radiator. Found the Fox Body Mustang radiator fits nicely with slightly modified radiator mounting brackets from a 66 to 77 Bronco. Hope this info helps for others thinking of going the 351W route in their slick.
64 Ranchero (has new owner)
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
grump

Re: 351W in a 65 F100

Post by grump »

That is the drive train I've got for mine. I have a 351W with GT40P heads to go with a AOD, both rebuilt. My AOD came off of a mid 80s van that had a 5.0 roller attached to it so I assumed it would fit. I haven't put the two together yet. You mentioned a AOD and a AODE, is there a difference in flex plates?
ponypoor
United States of America

Post by ponypoor »

I didn't think there was a difference in the flex plates but I found out different. The C6/AODE flexplate puts the torque convertor in a bind in the pump. Get a 164 tooth flex plate for a pre 1981 302 and everything will bolt right up.
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
grump

Post by grump »

Thanks for keeping me from possibly screwing something up.
Angry

Post by Angry »

Thanks for the heads up,...Ive got a 64 F100 SWB here in Australia n ive got an Aussie Falcon here to transplant the Roller 302W & AODE into it...

I just bought a 62 F100 Unibody last rip n its waiting to ship home,...funny cause we went to Pheonix n bought a 351W EFI motor n AOLE out of a 95 F100 for it...I was thinking about heades,..as its got iron exhausts on it still
ponypoor
United States of America

Post by ponypoor »

Yea the Fox Body Mustang headers seem to fit the best unless your running a manual transmission then it would be necessary to use a hydraulic clutch setup. I am using a power steering box out of a 77 F150 and have plenty of room. Just finished fitting up a tilt column. Just had to be different, I'm using the column from a 1969 T-bird. The length using the 70s steering box was perfect all I will have to do is cut the arm for the shift and weld it back on 180 degrees different and figure out the wiring for the turn signals and I might even get really energetic and figure a way to hook up the tilt a way feature.
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
Angry

Post by Angry »

Funny, I managed to find a 69 Camaro tilt column with column shift,.....ill be running XJ6 Jag front end
ponypoor
United States of America

Post by ponypoor »

Well it was a good weekend, managed to take 3 dash harnesses and build 1 good harness, figured the turn signal switch wiring out to use the T-bird column and signal switch and have 4 ways that work through the switch on the column, and best of all have the 351 running. Sounds sweet with 2 1/2 inch pipes and Summit Turbo mufflers. Guess the next adventure is going to be swapping the front spindles over to disc brakes. Not looking forward to trying to push out king pins that have been in since 1965.......
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

There are lots of ways to do the disk brake swap. I've always just moved the complete ibeam and spring setup over complete. That way you will never have to worry about the differences in king pins.
ponypoor
United States of America

Post by ponypoor »

My original plan was to drop it, I already have a set of 3" drop Dream Beams for the front. I am hoping to get the new rear springs put in this weekend with some 2" drop shackles so I can see how it sits in the rear. If it levels it out then I will leave the stock I beams up front. I want to eventually use this to pull a travel trailer and I believe to go a 4" drop in the rear I would have to notch the frame which I don't really want to do.
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
ponypoor
United States of America

Post by ponypoor »

Guess it's time for a progress update. Have new springs with 2 inch lowering shackles in back, went with the 3 inch lowering dream beams in front and new springs there also, disc brakes, new king pins, bushings, rotors, calipers, etc. While climbing around I discovered the steering box wasn't tight against the frame at the forward top bolt even though the bolt was tight. After getting the flash light out and cleaning my glasses found the box hitting the spring perch. I have read a few having issues with the box hitting the engine mount tower but the spring perch ? Ended up the steering box was bad, power to the right, arm strong to the left. So while in the process of swapping out the box a little massaging of the spring perch, aka torch and ballpeen hammer, gave it a nice indentation so now the box is tight against the frame. For the shift linkage I found the Lokar cable arrangement worked the best with the column shift and AOD. Of course there is nothing listed for a Ford so used the kit they had listed for one of those bow tie branded vehicles. Only issue I ran into was finding a heim joint to use down at the transmission. I installed the Lokar selector shaft with the adjustable arm which is slotted on the transmission so needed the heim joint, I am pretty sure if you just use the original arm on the trans the ends that come in the kit will work just fine. Next up is brake booster kit, will be diving into that in the morning....
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
ponypoor
United States of America

Post by ponypoor »

Well I see it has almost been a year since I last updated the build. So I did swap over to the lowering beams in front, and added disc brakes, new springs front and rear, swapped the rear axle to one from a 75 F150 and added a Trac loc carrier with 3:25 gears, looks much better with matching wheel tracks front and rear. Have the interior 90% completed. Ordered a set of bucket seat brackets off Evil bay and installed seats from a 65 Mustang, fit the console from a 93 Bronco between them. Added a transmission temp and trans oil pressure gauge into the dash and changed the speedo cluster to one from a 74 Bronco that has all the gauges instead of lights. Next challenge for the interior is installing the headliner, trying one of those ABS plastic ones. Have the bed floor replaced, had to weld 4 panels together and do some custom bending at the tailgate end to close the ends off. Have a little bit of work to do on the tail gate and the front fenders still. Decided to order new bumpers, I wanted to use a sport bumper on back with a Receiver hitch. Have to admit the rear bumper fit pretty nice for being a repop, can't say as much for the front. Hung it on and there was enough gap at the corners I could fit my fist between the bumper and fender. So let it be known the 67 and up front bumper do not fit they are to straight the 64 to 66 have a slight curve to them. Fortunately I had a pretty clean painted bumper from a 66 I parted that's at the platers now. Unfortunately it's costing twice as much to have straightened and plated as the new repop cost but..... Now I have a few spare parts left over if anyone is interested. I have a cherry un-modified 1965 radiator support, both inner fenders, the panel above the grill where the turn signal lights mount and the outer bed sides for a shortbed style side bed, the right side is in real nice shape, the left side needs a little hammer and dolly work but both sides are solid. One of these days I will figure out how to post pictures and do just that.
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Posting for Ponypoor

ponypoor
United States of America

Post by ponypoor »

Well at long last the beast made it madin voyage and I must say it was surprising. Got tired of using gas cans to put gas in so was just going to run over to the QT around the corner and give it it's first full tank in who knows how long. Not exactly sure what happened but it ended up being a 47 mile round trip, funny because when I go fill the newer car it's only 2 miles. Other than the gas gauge only reading 1/2 a tank or 1/3, no make that 1/4, finally settling back on the empty mark, have a feeling the float sank, it ran great. Transmission shifted great which amazed me since it's an AOD and I really just hooked the cable up and adjusted it till it was snug. The pressure is a little high but since I want to use it to pull a vintage trailer I am going to leave it. The coolant temp stayed right at 195 even with the A/C blasting away. So now it's onto the body work and paint....
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco