??? Timing chain install ???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

??? Timing chain install ???

Post by Mr. Jones »

Want to know if these two surfaces should be in contact with each other,back side of cam gear and the thrust plate

Image[/

[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/dwjones22/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-06/225F1037-F1F0-496A-BDD8-3E594A7F9A34_zpsk4m2akxq.jpg.html]Image

Yesterday I made shims,.003" thick,with three installed the gear was sitting like this

My "How to rebuild your big block Ford is showing the surfaces greased and installed the instructions say check for clearance......so which is right...???

Thanks
Dan
chris401
United States of America

Re: ??? Timing chain install ???

Post by chris401 »

Find the tightest spot and get your clearance there. Aren't the specs are .005" to .010"? It helps to have a few thrust plates on hand when cam gets to tight or loose for that extra or less few thousandths of an inch. Steve Christ book is an excelent book for rebuilding and specifications. From what I have read on the fordfe forum Steve's identification chart is not very accurate due to the official Ford documents that were avaliable at the time.
Chris
Mr. Jones

Re: ??? Timing chain install ???

Post by Mr. Jones »

Chris,
Took me twenty minutes to get thru to thier tech line,you where correct on the. specs .005 / .010. The timing gear package is an Edelbrock. O'Rieallys had it available for $59.00 seemed ok.The paint stripper does not remove rust .........Thanks for the input
Dan