302 engine perches

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

grump

302 engine perches

Post by grump »

I just got some 302 perches to mount my 351 windsor in my 66. For those of you who have done this did you have to change the mounting holes? When I set them on the original holes on the top of the frame the holes that the engine mount bolts go through do not line up. Did you have to drill new holes to get things to line up?
William-in-St George

Re: 302 engine perches

Post by William-in-St George »

Grump, You may need to switch the mounts side to side and remember Ford offset the engine to the right. I used stock Ford mounts for my 460 install and did not need any new holes. The truck had a inline six from the factory. I'd just install the mounts on the engine, set it in and see where it lines up. Drilling a couple new holes is NBD. Let us know how this turns out.
William-in-St. George
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

When comparing their location to that of the donor truck, the pedestals definitely do not need to be switched from side to side, but will require you to drill. My understanding is that the crossmember in the Twin I Beam trucks did not change a great deal between 1965 & 1979, but the '65 & '66 never came with a 302 (or 351W), so they are not drilled for the 302 pedestals.
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past either here or on FTE, a little searching may turn up more on weather you will need to drill all new holes for the pedestals, or re-use one existing hole and drill one new hole (per pedestal). (And which engine your truck came with may come into play here as well)

James
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Check out this page and see if it helps. I-6 and FE perches are the same but used different holes for placement. I haven't ever installed the small block perches but based on this, new holes are required on the early Twin I-beam trucks.

http://fordification.com/tech/engine-perches.htm
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
ponypoor
United States of America

Post by ponypoor »

I just used the 6 shooter towers and moved them back to the rear set of mount holes.
64 Ranchero (has new owner)
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
grump

Post by grump »

The perches I have have a definite rear angle, to get the motor mount holes to line up I have to move the drivers side perch up to the next set of holes. The 302 perches ,when mounted in the same holes, are about 4-41/2" farther to the rear on the drivers side and the bottom rear hole isn't on the cross member. It's hard to tell by the photos on fordification if those perches have a angle to the rear. I guess I'm just going to have to bolt the perches to the motor and set it down on the frame and see where every thing sets. Thanks for your help ya'll. I'll let you know how it works out.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Grump: I picked up pedestals & engine mounts out of a '78 with a 302 in May of 2016, but I'm a looooong way from dropping a Windsor in there:)
The engine mounts that came with my pedestals may/may not be usable, but should be good enough for mock-up, and to verify that new replacements are correct.
So, maybe you will have some words of wisdom for me by the time I get to that point in my project!

Cheers!
James
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Did you notice the part on that Fordification link about the mid-77 crossmember and perch redesign? If your perches are from those last couple years they won't fit the earlier twin I-beam crossmember. Perhaps they can still work with modifications - I'm not sure. But just want to make sure you saw that part too.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

I did look at that yesterday, but those pics do not clearly identify any differences. I guess all a guy can do is bolt the pedestal/mounts up to the engine & fly it into position, and have a look to see if they're going to work or not. If not, no biggie, the $21.00 won't sting too bad, but the three plus hours and the bloody knuckles to get them out will:)

So Ito be safe(r) guess a guy should be looking for 302 pedestals from a Bumpside??

James
slixtyfive wrote:Did you notice the part on that Fordification link about the mid-77 crossmember and perch redesign? If your perches are from those last couple years they won't fit the earlier twin I-beam crossmember. Perhaps they can still work with modifications - I'm not sure. But just want to make sure you saw that part too.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Yes - I understand. Although I do notice some differences in the two pictures, I don't think I could tell which I had if I only had one set or the other.

But for those that know for sure which year their perches came from, it sounds like the very late ones won't work in the early frames - at least not without modification.