Is it worth the trouble? Hood repair

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rderr

Is it worth the trouble? Hood repair

Post by rderr »

I have a 66 hood that has some rust in the front lip area. Pretty common I suppose. Any way, what I am asking is since I no longer need the hood, is it worth it to do the metal work and paint with epoxy primer to prepare it for sale. Will I get anything for it? I don't mind doing the work and have experience doing such. I just don't know what a rust free epoxy primered hood would bring? Not really a fan of investing time and material into something that won't bring much. I'm sort of there with a pair of front cab mounts. I've repaired them in the past for myself but I am seeing that they don't bring much and can be had aftermarket for less than it would take to repair the ones I have.

Thanks,
Rick
ratrapp

Re: Is it worth the trouble? Hood repair

Post by ratrapp »

you can buy new cab mounts but not hoods.i looked for a good hood for a while and eventually paid $100 for a hood that needed the same rust in the front lip repaired.i would sell it as is.i'm sure someone could use it and repair it.i took 2 hoods and cut the lip out of one hood and welded it in the other.
rderr

Post by rderr »

Thanks. I already cut the rust out so I am thinking I might as well fix it and see what I can get out of it. Thanks again for the reply.

Rick
Tweet66
United States of America

Post by Tweet66 »

Any pix of that hood. I'm in the need of one for my 66 that's "repairable"
Ken
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

Hard to say. I have 2 or 3 rust free hoods that I can't seem to give away. The problem is in shipping them. It will have to go truck or Greyhound and Greyhound doesn't have as many depots as they use to have. So that is another obstacle. Fastenal is a good source to ship large items but their 3pl shipping doesn't run to the west coast much if at all.
Every day above ground is a good one
rderr

Post by rderr »

Tweet 66 I sent you a PM. I apologize as I haven't been on in while and didn't see you request for pics. Update on the hood. I have cut all rust out and welded in new metal. Ground down the welds and applied the first layer of filler. In the process of sanding that back down now.

Thanks,
Rick