Well how plans, life changes! :(

NY, NJ, PA, DE, DC, MD

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

thrush544

Well how plans, life changes! :(

Post by thrush544 »

Hi Guys,

Well I was called into the conference room yesterday at 4:00 to be informed that they are having temporary layoffs (25%) in the engineering department starting yesterday. Since I was the last one hired (Feb. 2012), I was the first to go. Said I could leave my things there because they will call me as soon as they get additional work in, but I don't see them selling any more painting systems. They are more concerned with product out the door as fast as possible and don't care to take time be sure it's right.

When they interviewed me they were looking for "contract worker" which I was ok with. However after two interviews they offered me a full time position. As you know a full time position pays a good bit less (5-10 bucks/hr) than a contract position. Full time was great, but I was suspicious.

I could see trouble on the horizon when I saw how they all interacted with their own people, customers and suppliers. They lied! All the time! Matter of fact they were not smart enough to remember what they said and often it was obvious. However ... and a BIG however I worked with some really great guys in my department. So it wan't a "bad" job, but there is obvious trouble on their horizon. Heck, I had pipe suppliers, and others, that were not able to talk to me because they hadn't paid their bills for months. Not a good sign.

Overall we will be ok. I trust God has a plan and he has kept me well for 52 years, I trust in Him. My wife has a good job and I should get unemployment. Unfortunately but thankfully when we bought a "new" (2002) truck, I sold my classic 69 F-150 and my 64 Custom 500 to help pay for it and did not get a loan.

I was selling another classic car and planning on purchasing another Uni from a fellow Slick member but of course that is now on hold. My marriage (2nd -4yrs) is already on unstable ground; new layoff will be a challenge there too!

Will still try to make the fall get together as it's not too far away. Then again, maybe by then I'll be happily employed once more. Or maybe I'll be able to devote more time to our Amway business and it will grow. Like I say God has a plan, I'll do everything I can and leave the rest to him!

God Bless,
Ed
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Proverbs 3: 5-6
aarons428
Germany

Re: Well how plans, life changes! :(

Post by aarons428 »

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. God works in mysterious ways. Keep your head up.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Sorry to hear it, but "head down, butt up" and you'll get through it. Sounds like their "downturn" may be more self-inflicted than the state of the economy.
Wonder why they wanted you full-time rather than Contract?
Usually companies prefer "contract labor" because you not they are responsible for taxes, insurance etc. Maybe they had to hire a certain number of people to justify government funding?
Edit: That seems to be happening a lot around here. A government entity (city or state) will give a company all kinds of benefits to get them to move to the city/state and usually they have to commit to hiring a certain number of people at a certain rate for a certain period of time. Then they don't fulfill their commitment and there never seems to be any clawback of these benefits/funds expended.
Last edited by Gritsngumbo on July 23, 2012, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

Sorry to hear that Ed. I do hope to things turn around for you and your family. I'll keep you in my prayers.
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
thrush544

Post by thrush544 »

Well .... God is Good :D

I was called last Monday night at 5pm,asked if I could come in the next morning, exactly one month after being laid off!

It's indefinate for how long right now, but will help pay the bills for sure. :clap:
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Proverbs 3: 5-6
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

Amen!! :clap:
Marty

1965 F100 Short Bed w/390 and 4 on the floor.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.