Life is always interesting

NY, NJ, PA, DE, DC, MD

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

thrush544

Life is always interesting

Post by thrush544 »

Hello everyone, I pray you all had a beautiful Christmas! We were blessed to have so spending time with half the family.

I traded my 64 Ford Custom 2 door post for a nice 96 Mustang GT 4.6 5-speed. The 64 needed a compleate restoration so I felt the GT had a much wider market appeal as I have my eye on a certain 61 Unibody. The GT is fun to drive for sure, but I'm sure the 61 will be much likely to get me interviews with the local Troopers.

Was all set to put it on Craigs list when yesterday I was called in and laid off... again. I guess two contracts they had have gone awry... one long term delay and the other cancelled. At least they were nice enough to pay me for Christmas as they could have jetisoned me and others last Friday.

So I may wait to sell the GT, so I can keep the money in the "toy" fund. My experience is if the $ are sitting there during leaner times there is always a temtation to use them to keep the status quo instead of adjusting the status quo.

God always has a plan so we'll go with that.

How are all the rest of you guys doing?
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Proverbs 3: 5-6
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Life is always interesting

Post by Toyz »

Hope all goes well; I'm beginning to become familiar with that layoff thing again after 25 years without any. I used to look forward to them; now it's a little different. I was told this week that I was renewed for at least the first quarter, and probably longer, meaning that I at least have a job, albeit under much poorer pay and benefits.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Sorry to hear you were laid off once again. :cry: heres hoping it will be short term like last time
My son took it out for a ride today, it started up just fine,and drove great. :twisted:
Just sayin 8)
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
thrush544

Post by thrush544 »

Hello UM & Paul, thanks for the concerns.

We'll be ok, not sure about some of the other guys though.

We took a Dave Ramsey course after our marriage (2nd for both) and have eliminated all debt but our mortgage.
Over the summer we bought a 2002 F-150 4dr 4X4 and paid cash instead of buying something new or newer with a loan. Really makes a difference now. Matter of fact makes me look briliant now ... and that's not easy! :lol:

Plus, we started a e-commerse business on the side so I'll be working on growing that.

The Mustang GT is sweet and fast! :twisted: could be trouble! Besides I really want another Unibody. So as I planned the GT has a much larger market and I hope to sell it as soon as I get the title back.

Although I haven't broken the news to my wife yet. She thinks you buy a car and drive it until it's finished. :roll:

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

It's funny how Dave Ramsey is so popular (I listen to him too), yet without trying or knowing about him I've lived that way pretty much my entire life. I did cave on a car loan this past year to get the wife something that wasn't a POS; figured she's driven junk for 20 years, so putting half down wasn't going to be a horrible strain, and it hasn't been. Only other thing we owe on is the house, and that should be done in 5-7 years. Can't imagine how much fun I'll be able to have when there's an extra $1100 each month after that! The emergency fund is a wonderful thing; need a new well pump? Just write a check. Need a roof? Write a check. I deal with customers every day that are traumatized by a $500 deductible and just shake my head.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

There is some Chinese proverb or such that says "May you live in INTERESTING times" when I first heard it I thought it mean't you were being blessed with fun unique experiences... Then I found out the true meaning is its a CURSE, and the person saying it is meaning "May you be challenged with troubles" I don't know why but I have found the statement profound since then.

Things are not always what they seem....
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

foodstick wrote:There is some Chinese proverb or such that says "May you live in INTERESTING times" when I first heard it I thought it mean't you were being blessed with fun unique experiences... Then I found out the true meaning is its a CURSE, and the person saying it is meaning "May you be challenged with troubles" I don't know why but I have found the statement profound since then.
Things are not always what they seem....

You finally caught on, eh Grasshopper?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

The third or forth brick against my head... seems to sink in ! ;)
thrush544

Post by thrush544 »

Hmmm... so you're a relatively quick learner! :?