Nevada in early March

WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, MT, ID, WY, AK, BC, AB, SASK, YK, NWT

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

Nevada in early March

Post by dotcentral »

I'm from North Carolina, but I'm visiting my Brother in Nevada (Pahrump) for a day or two, then heading out on my own to see the sights. We will probably go to Laughlin or Vegas, but I haven't planned what to do after that. I was wondering if there is anything going on in Nevada, western Arizona, southeastern California March 3-9th.

Also, I'd like to hit a couple of salvage yards to look for some odds and ends for my '66 & 71 F100s. If someone doesn't mind sharing a few places that are reasonable and stock older vehicles, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want the whole world to see, send me a PM or email.

Thanks.

Tim
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
64 f100

Re: Nevada in early March

Post by 64 f100 »

Don't know as they are reasonable, but I have seen some stuff advertised n Pahrump (Wonder where that name came from?) at some kind of salvage yard there. I am looking for a really nice rear bumper for a 64 Galaxie in case you run accross one let me know. There is a 64 advertised by a guy in Nevada as a 63 and I need some parts ff it but we haven't made a d3eal on any parts . Would like a nice drivers door , fender and the rear bumper for a 64 Galaxie. Got a good fender located in Kansas so that is no problem but good doors I haven't found yet. I offered the guy 300 for the rear bumper and brackets no answere on it as yet. 618-384-7037 verizon cell

Rich
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Wikipedia: Pahrump was originally inhabited by the Shoshone. It was discovered and slowly inhabited by American settlers in the late 19th century. They reportedly chose the name for the valley which Pahrump is named after the original indigenous name Pah-Rimpi, or "Water Rock," so named because of the abundant artesian wells in the valley. Because of these artesian wells, the new inhabitants of Pahrump Valley began a number of large ranch-style holdings, mostly over 1000 acres (4 km²) in size. On these ranches, alfalfa and cotton were grown, and livestock were raised.

FWIW: Parump is home to several legal brothels, which are nearest to Las Vegas. (No "legal" brothels in LV or Clark County). Locals use the term "over the hump to Parump" as you cross a small mountain to get there.

I moved away from LV about 12 years ago, but when I lived there there were a lot of yards that allowed you to go in an look around and find what you wanted. (Unlike most of the yards here). I wasn't into Slicks then, (into 70's-80's Big Cherokees and Wagoneers back then)but found a lot of useful parts and was great fun. Not sure what the status is today. FYI: Most were out near the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Thanks for the replies. Rich, I'll try to keep your parts request in mind.

I know there were two brothels in Pahrump, my brother use to live off the road one would take to get to them. He said back when times were good he'd notice a steady stream of cars & limos heading out that way. Once times got tough he said the traffic lighten up considerably heading out that way. Based on the prices one hears those places charge for their services, it's no wonder.

I rode with my brother through that mountain pass once going to Pahrump. We took a different route that went south of the mountains on the way back to Las Vegas.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

There used to be a great "little" bar at the top of the mountain. It was our "New Year's Eve" afternoon ritual for years. The entertainment was an old hound dog who's trick was to take a folded dollar bill off the edge of the bar and take it behind the bar to the bartender.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Anyone have anything to add?