Crockett, CA checking in.

WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, MT, ID, WY, AK, BC, AB, SASK, YK, NWT

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

milldinaire
United States of America

Re: Crockett, CA checking in.

Post by milldinaire »

Got my frontend all drilled, drilled and ready to bolt up. Before I do that I was gonna weld in some 1/8 in wall tube. But that wasn't cool for me. So I went out and found some 3/16 walled tubing and now I feel much better on a strength stand point. So ah, that is where I am now and after I'm done with this week of twelve hour days. I'll be cutting and welding and voala done, done deeed.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Done done deed in image form. Whew!

I also got a chance to work on the rear frame this last Sunday.

All that said and done. I'm looking forward to a rear fuel tank and a kick ass 4 link . Till next time thanks for viewing.11106
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

I got a few more hours this weekend on my truck... okay maybe more then a few hours. Cooler full of beer, my Dad and I decided to get the bed on and see what I was working with. I had to cut a hole in the floor. Then I had to cut some of the underbracing to clear well. I found out right away that I couldn't just slap it on and go ahhhh. Nope I had to go ahhh $#/+, eeeeeah ahh hoo. Once off again I had to cut some sheet metal away from the rear bolt holes that went between the frame rails. As well as one side of underbrace next set of bolts up from rear, where I put my gas tank cross member.

After that and finally getting to say ahhh. I cut some 2x1 and began the raised bed floor frame work.
I have to hold off on the rest of the deal till I get trailer fenders
Here's what I got so far.

Well that's what I got as of now. Thanks for viewing.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Earlier this week I got a couple of hours to work on my truck. I decided it was time to cut up a hood I had gotten from my bud unibody madness. I mainly just wanted the front of the hood to create my lower front rollpan. While I was at it I figured I would cut out the two hood indentations as well for some comet style forward hood scoops.

Here is what I got.

Today after a 3 year olds birthday party. I got a chance to put a couple hours in. So I went right for the scoops. I st a dolly in a vise and was geared to reverse the bow in the scoops. By hammer and dolly I roughed in to proper bow in the scoops.

Heres how they came out.

After about an hour of that. I got bored and and pulled my grinder out equipped with a wire wheel and cleaned out the rear driver side bed seam and welded it up. Then I took some 3/16 rod and welded it into the side seam.

Heres where I am at.

Well that was all the time . I got into it this week. Hopefully tomorrow I will get some more time.

As far as the hood scoops go. I have to find an english wheel to smooth them out nice and cleanly.

thanks for viewing.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Well back at it this week. An hour here and an hour there. Nap time is a mother... Anyway I got a call last week that some bullit wheels were gonna show up in my garage soon. To help me with setting up my rear suspension. I hate to say it but man, I've been winging it this whole time and I must say. To this point I'm very satisfied with my results and the way this build is coming along. Much thanks to this forum for all the information and the motivation. Thanks to my man Unibody Madness for all your input and great help in parts, wrench time and support. I also would like to thank my friend Pete out at SWRNC on youtube, great inspiration and a wonderful amount of info. Thanks Pete for getting me off my ass and keeping the spirit going.

Blah, blah, blah... enough said. Wheels on the way and I need to get to finishing up the front suspension. So, I cut the lower rear plates to bolt lower control arms to the frame. I had close tolerances to the very rear so I fab'd up some half mounts with three bolts in bracket and one bolt in the frame. I cut some gussets and it came out looking sharp on the outside. I moved to the inside and realized, I need to box the frame to put the gussets on the inside... Damn it... Well now that adds to the list of must do's before I get the wheels on.

That means I need to weld all nuts that need to be used in the frame prior to boxing the front half. I've now ordered front sway bar bushings and have also started the motor mounts.

Here's what I've got done as of today.1116911168

One last photo. Photo of rad core support moved forward 3/16 to straighten out the fender to grille alignment.

All assembly is un finished. Mounts will be further boxed and hole will be cleaned up. Also I will need to drill holes fill holes and weld nuts inside or to holes. In order to complete the boxing of the frame and completing rear arm mounts.

thanks for viewing. Nap time...
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Trucks looking great just got back and both containers are moved to permenent location. let me know when you need the extrs help with the grinder
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Man o man I've been so damn busy with work, holidays and all. I don't think I've worked on my truck in a month. Shaking quivering... oooaah oooo aaht... That was close. I'm suffering withdrawls... Need to get back in my garage and get after it.

On a side note I just got a badass tig stick and plasma get up. Oooooooooo Yeahhhh! Plasma. So, hope to soon get some pics up of that and the other awesome stuff I'm going to be doing to my truckkkkkkkkk. Gas and all the incedentals are a real pain but can't wait. Speaking of waiting. I have to wait on ups to ship out a superflex hose adapter, so there's another week down the toilet.

My poor family and friends. I really hope to see you all soon. :burp:
unibody madness
United States of America

I totally get the time thing, five ships in a row... ready to unwind after the Moku leaves. No ships in December and my boys are home for a few weeks, so its Turk time and the 460 gasket job, I can't wait to see the new set up. Give me a call when your back to day shift
Turk build thread at:

milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Madness, man! Time keeps on slippin... I need to get together and give you a hand on that 460. I haven't forgot, just time. I'm hoping this sunday I get a gate pass to pick up a 1" thick 4x8 plate and some racks to to build a couple work benches out of before I have to work at 3. Monday I will be on day shift. I think I have my brand spanking new 60 gallon Maxair compressor showing up that day. As well as a new fridge and bed. Hella busy Monday for sure. Swing by if you'd like should be a good O'le time. As far as Tuesday and Wednesday I'm free after 3. Get that gasket kit and I'll bring the timing light. Lets get'er done.
unibody madness
United States of America

My son is going to start the tear down friday morning, so I can figure out the build date of the motor, I am going to probably be re-doing the entire top end and chain cover as well.
Give me a call in the morning if you are working swing, my son could use the picker.
John
Turk build thread at:

milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Well this week I finally got a chance to work on my Slick. Two days of bliss :lol: . I did a boat anchor 350 job for a friend and I got to hold on to the hoist for o' A week or so. Hopefully longer. But, while I have it I am going to take advantage of the situation... So, off with the cab! Time to box the frame. Well almost. The cab came off pretty darn easy. I only got as far as making the templates for the 10 gauge box plates. Kids and wife and all.

Anyways work finally slowed down and I get a little more time. I've been focusing on my tool set and got a few fancy toys to help with my build. It should go alot smoother from here on out. Enough about me, here's the little bit of progress I've made this week.

milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Been a good couple of days. I managed to trace out my frame section patterns on some 10 gauge. With my new handy dandy plasma cutter get up, I cut them out in about 10 mins. Awesome ( IF in Australia, insert "Mad" here) as hell by the way. After that, tacked them up and began the long bead welds. Enduring massive amounts, not really. Just a bunch of splatter burns to sides of cheeks on the lay down sides, ok the bottom of the frame rails. I ran out of wire... Damn it!

Anyways here's where I am at to date.

milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

In case anybody might be asking why I stopped where I did with these frame sections. It is because I will tie the rears in up under the cab. That project should be coming very shortly. Then my frame will be ready for one chunky tubular four link setup. Oh Goody I can't wait.... oh yea!

Thanks for viewing.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Due to budget constraints. The light at the end of the tunnel will remain off until further notice... Nah just slow goin here. Here' a little progress till I get to get'n some more grinding disks.

milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Finally got my front suspension and frame all buttoned up for mock up. Been fun but, I can't wait to get to the rear frame and suspension. Coming soon. Here'some pics.

6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

Any updates on this?
66 Layin Low
unibody madness
United States of America

Yeah. . . quit spending all your time with that old fart across the straights and get to posting your progress :mrgreen:
Turk build thread at:

milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Got to do a little work this weekend. I pulled my 8.8 outside and blasted the tubes to get all the oil and rust off to do some welding. I got a little zealous with my plasma cutter and cut off wheel while cutting off all the brackets. So alittle filling welds where in order. Also figured I would weld the tubes for alittle added strength.
A while back I fabbed up my bushing rodends for the frame side. Thought I would throw those In this set of pics. Next step is to clean all the welds and get the rear brackets mounted up for the four link.

Been doing a bit of reading on the net this weekend and I finally found an afordable way to mount my T4 turbo to my 390 or 460. It is called a draw through setup, where the carb is mounted before the turbo to the intake. Many possibilities abound now. So stay posted as my F-bird evolves.

unibody madness
United States of America

Jeremiah,
You really should move this entire thread over to the project page. The western region is clogged up with tumble weeds, and crickets.
Looking good. I want to see that chassis in paint before too long.
Lol
Turk build thread at:

milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Naw, Gotta keep the West alive. Not much happening over here like the other regions. It's kinda my little sanctuary. I'll leave the projects and builds forum to the pros. They got some fancy stuff going on over there. Thanks for taking the time to view what I got going on over here John. Much appreciated :mrgreen:.