New guy in SE Portland

WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, MT, ID, WY, AK, BC, AB, SASK, YK, NWT

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mtb2liv
United States of America

New guy in SE Portland

Post by mtb2liv »

I posted an intro in Truck Talk but thought I'd make myself known here, too.

I am the proud new owner of a '66 F100 (Base Cab Longbed) with a 240 I6 mated to a T18 4spd.

Sadly, it has suffered a very poor paint job (the Caribbean Turquoise was rattled canned semi-gloss black), the body work has been neglected/ignored, not to mention the interior and engine bay have essentially been stripped of most of the trim and small parts.

Good news is, the cab is completely sound without any rust (the bed and bottom of each door is a diff. story). I offered the PO 30% of his asking price and he accepted.

I hope to replace body panels as I can afford to do so, retain the original motor (refurb/rebuild) and restore the interior so it's nice enough to take my lady for rides and not have her smell of gasoline once she gets out. Disc brake upgrade and suspension tweaking is on the radar as well.

I have LOTS of plans and will look to the expert owners in this community for advice, tips and guidance as this is not just my first Slick, it's also my first project truck.

I am excited to be on the road to bringing this truck back to some degree of glory and will share the journey as I progress.

Thanks for accepting my request to join and let the fun begin!
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
-Henry Ford
1965fordf100
United States of America

Re: New guy in SE Portland

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Welcome from Reno, NV! Have fun with the truck! Gotta love those rattle can paint jobs!
Phil
ROOSTER
United States of America

Post by ROOSTER »

welcome mtb2liv! I'm in Boise but travel to Portland quite often. Just got back from the Portland swap meet a few weeks ago. Let me know if there is any thing I can help you with. :welcome:
Dave
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

We've chatted already, but I'm stoked to see pictures! I've seen that truck around town somewhere. St John's, maybe?
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

Welcome from down south ...Albany that is. Just a short drive south on I-5. Glad to have more people "addicted" to slicks. Post questions....folks here are the most helpful and supportive I have ever been involved with......
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
mtb2liv
United States of America

Post by mtb2liv »

Thanks, everyone!

I'll post pics as I make progress...

Parts just arrived for exhaust manifold replacement, fuel pump/filter replacement, ignition parts (Alt., coil, points, plugs, wires and cap, volt. reg. and stabilizer)...first point of business is to get it running reliably and safely...and somewhat quietly.

Then - I'll do some fun stuff ;)
-Henry Ford
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Welcome from Northern Cali.. If you need help feel free to ask. Have fun and enjoy your work, and good luck to ya.
mtb2liv
United States of America

Post by mtb2liv »

Ok, so a few updates and thank you's....

Since I lasted posted here I have had some problems (see post titled "Pulling my hair out" in Truck Talk).

Carb related stuff covered in great detail.

Here's a few pics of some of what I have been doing....

Pass-side front clip off and motor ready for some attention.

Replaced exhaust manifold as it was literally...broken.
While at it, I replaced the alternator, thermostat (went with a 140 degree), Oil pressure gauge and light sender, water temp sender, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, coil, volt. reg. (one for the instrument panel, too) and installed an aux 12v power source to charge my phone.

I also added a front and rear bumper from a local guy I met via Craig's List -

It's not the prettiest one out there; but it's mine, it's my first and I love it.

Cooler things lie ahead for this old truck (once it runs and drives reliably first, of course).

Functionally, I'd like to get to a place with this truck where power steering and power disc brakes are not dreams but reality.

Cosmetically, plans are to replace both front fenders with straight ones, dent/rust free (or at least as free as possible) doors, a bed/tailgate and a hood. Yeah that's essentially EVERYTHING body-related but I want it dent free and bondo free...again, as much as possible.

I'd also like to lower it (Dream Beams and a Flip Kit) and some steel wheels and white walls...

Maybe a faux patina to boot? The earned patina has been rattle-canned off and its just wrong to cover medals earned in service.

Oh yeah and a good audio system (so I can "cruise around and crank some tunes"; I like Classic Rock :rocker: ).

Obviously there's no due date or deadline for all these time and money consuming plans...it's a work in progress.

Thanks for reading and thank you to all who have welcomed me and offered tips and hints; this forum really is full of great people.

Happy Memorial Day - be sure to remember.
-Henry Ford
oso503

Post by oso503 »

I grew up in se portland david douglas area now I live in gresham
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Hello and a belated welcome from Corbett, the place the TV stations send their weather reporters when the wind blows.

Don't feel the need to make excuses for your truck. You have it on the road and are enjoying it. That is more than a lot of people can say.

I like your idea to keep it a 6 cylinder. I had similar plans with a '61 Uni but...

Good luck.
Roger Carter
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Welcome to the madness. Enjoy your stay. 8)