Interviewing at China Lake Naval Weapons Center

WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, MT, ID, WY, AK, BC, AB, SASK, YK, NWT

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

Interviewing at China Lake Naval Weapons Center

Post by dotcentral »

In June the Navy is bringing me out to interview for a job at the Naval Weapons Center at China Lake. Which is basically next to Ridgecrest, CA.

I am finding good and bad things about the area online. We all know how the internet works, you can find someone that will hate anyplace you can come up with and someone that would find a reason to love anyplace you can think of as well.

Just wondering if anyone here has any real experience about the area they can share with me. A PM or email is fine. Or send your phone # and I will call.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Interviewing at China Lake Naval Weapons Center

Post by unibody madness »

Can not clue you in on china lake,but I have worked at concord naval weapons station.
They take security seriously,as they should.
It is a military installation so act accordingly.
They are in fact made up of the same kind of normal people as anywhere else,and are serving our country so I try to give them the respect they deserve
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

It is the Navy's largest piece of real estate in the world at 35%, and it is inland. The lake is 8 miles wide and 17 miles long and 143ft deep. Other than that, you know how the internet works.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I've driven through Ridgecrest, but have spent more time up the road in Bishop where my sister lives. It's basically desert living without the crush of the larger cities in CA. In Bishop there is a daily 30 degree temp swing between day and night. In the summer its between 70-80 and 100-110. In the winter it varies between 20-40 and 50-70. I suspect Ridgecrest would be a little milder as it is lower in elevation. The major issue my sister faces is that she is 5 hrs from a major airport. Ridgecrest would only be about 2-2.5 hrs pout from LAX. Keep in mind that state taxes are very high in CA if you're coming in from out of state.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Bruce, Yes I will need to consider the taxes.

I remember passing thru Needles while sight seeing south of Laughlin, NV a couple years ago and noticing gas was about a buck more a gallon on the California side than the Nevada side.

I have read about problems with meth addicts and crime in the area on several websites. The writing makes me think it is the same couple of people ranting on different sites. I also know it ain't the big city but I'm okay with that. I'd want to be in a decent neighborhood regardless. Also wondering about schools, what the classic car/truck scene is like, any other misc info. When I am out there I'll have to pick up some literature and ask around.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold