coil-overs for 64 f100

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

robnotbob

coil-overs for 64 f100

Post by robnotbob »

hello all. looking for some advice on coil-overs.
have a 64 f100, putting a 4 link in the rear.
not sure about the spring weight. was thinking 300lb.
also any advice on make of coil-overs.
thanks
Rob
luckystiff
United States of America

Re: coil-overs for 64 f100

Post by luckystiff »

just guessing i'd shoot for somewhere between 375 and 425 so 400 might be a good starting point. i've dealt with AFFCO mostly on coilovers. jay i beleive is the sales guy i've worked with but he may only be commercial sales as my dealings with them was at the hot rod shop i worked for.

ride tech has/had a section on their site to help figure out also. but honestly some of it is a guessing game.

AFFCO was always good with me about exchanges for different springs as long as the ones we returned were in like new condition. you do loose return shipping but cheaper than straight buying others.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Make friends with somebody local with a dirt late model race car. When we raced I had about every spring known to man (so it seemed). I used to let a lot of guys borrow springs to see what they needed before they ordered them someplace else.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

race folks also tend to know where you can have it 4 corner weighed telling you what the weight load is at each wheel which can tell you where to start.

i seem to remember mentioning to jay at affco i was considering 4 link and coilovers on my uni and he may have said shoot low and work up as needed for the rear. i think we were swapping rear springs from a 50s chevy truck with c4 vette set up and i think we went 300 on it as the 400 he had were WAY to stiff. thinking back we may have talked and come up with starting at 350 since the rear on my truck is heavier than the 50s chevy.

it may sound weird but that customer had ridden in another chevy with c4 vette setup with 400lb and thats why he chose that rating. so as said sometimes it's a try it and see game....