'62 Unibody Build (back) Up

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gary Seymour
United States of America

Re: '62 Unibody Build (back) Up

Post by Gary Seymour »

I forgot about the two flat bed floor pieces I'll need. These will go on the bed floor patch piece and extend out to the bedsides. These will be 16ga with some small bends needed and some creative blending required on the passenger side. I'll take more pics as I go. Hopefully it wont be another 6 months before I make progress on it. :roll:
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Here's my helper, Smudge:
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Gary I have 2 helpers just like smudge one named little bit and the other named cheee ( short for cheetara ) . SWMBO named Cheee I just shortened it :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Got some more metal work done today. Got this little bracket welded in:
Then drilled a bunch of holes in the back panel of the cab. This is how I will weld on the new flat panel.
Here's the new flat panel - it's 16 ga. I hope to get the panel plug welded on tommorrow.

Then for some texture, I am going to put on the panel inside the bed. they fill the panel almost perfectly.

Why?? Because it's my entire licence plate collection!!! I hope to stick them on with some magnets so I can change them around if I find cooler plates.
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Dang Gary your uni looks like mine only I can see the floor of my garage looking down through that part of the bed :D.

Rick
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I like that license plate idea, very creative! I love the truck too! I hate the crap they put all over the back of the interior of the cab, it is a awful mess trying to get it off...I gave up on it in my truck
Phil
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

"1965" didn't bother with removing the factory crap on the back of the cab. I used a wire brush on my angle grinder to clear the spots for the plug welds.

I go the new back panel welded on yesterday. I might post some pics later, but I'm in a lazy state of mind today. Must be the rain we are finally getting from Isaac.

I can't take credit for the license plate idea as original. I saw it on a truck somewhere....

Rick - it is very nice to have that area of the truck solid again! It's not concours restoration by any means, but I am satisfied with the repairs.

Still have the bed floor patches to do. I have the metal. Plan to get on it again tomorrow and I am off work Tuesday too!!!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Gary at least your getting something done :D. I woke up at 8 AM this morning looked out the window next to my side of the bed and rolled over and went back to sleep :D got up at noon and this is as far as I have goten . Granted at least I am out in the shop but I'm still in my pajamas :D.

Rick
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Finished up the back panel welding, made the flat pieces for the bed floor, and fitted up the corregated floor. The corregated pieces came from Iceman. I made the flat ones with a Harbor Freight 30" brake I picked up. It did okay be me. That's 16ga and 17ga is supposed to be it's maximum.

Got to clean the metal now before welding everything up solid.

I cut everything with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder. I have a vice-grip type flanger I use on overlaps.

Only other patch I need now is the bedside piece to cover this hole.

I picked up some rustoleum primer and semi gloss black to cover everything with, encluding inside the torque box. I'll use a small roller and brushes and hopefully do the whole inside of the bed. Then I may do the floor in the roll on rhino-liner type stuff.

I got some gas tank lower mounts from Iceman too. I need to clean them up and look forward to putting in the tank now that the cab welding on the inside is DONE.
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Gary I have my parts uni we might be able to pull your bedside patch off of.

Rick
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

That's a great offer Rick, thank you. I am thinking I can put this gentle roll in a piece o' steel "somehow", but not quite sure how yet (rolling pin??? pipe??? :D ). I might just take you up on that, plus it would be good to come down and meet, since we are caravaning to the next Slickstock!!! woohoo.gif

Uh, no progress to report on the truck this whole week. Maybe I can get some done tomorrow. Going to look at a car trailer in the morning. Something I've been toying with getting for a long time.
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

You could take a piece of 20 guage cut larger than what you need (just a little larger) and slowly work it over a argon or oxygen tank laying on its side to get the shape you need. Doing it that way work it back and forth over the tank and check it often.

Rick
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Been working on assembling the 351C. Had all the new components, block bored 0.03, crank .01 / .01 under. Had the new pistons put on the rods with new ARP rod bolts and re-sized. Here's the engine with cam and crank in. I checked clearances with plastigage on 3 of the mains.

Here's the piston/rods ready to go in ('cept for bearings) with rings oriented.

Smudge was helping - giving me assurance.

Rotating assembly went together nicely. I got a Summit ring compressor that is a 4.030 tapered cylinder that you push the piston assemblies through. Very nice to use to install pistons!

Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Got a box from Summit today with new water pump, damper, fuel pump, and some chrome Mr Gasket plain valve covers and breathers. Got next week off, so I hope to finish engine assembly. :D
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Okay, so it's been a while since I've posted, but I've made some progress. Here's the 351C about ready to go in. I hope to get the engine and trans in the chassis this weekend.

Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

I sprung $62 for a single groove pulley set. 8)

I hope they are as nice as they look on ebay....

I didn't have the water pump pulley, and had a two and three groove crank pulley, which would look upidstay, so figure it's a righteous splurge. :wink:
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

I enjoy reading your thread. Great work :D
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Thank you for checking it out, Tim.
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

With the help of a friend, Mark :argue: , today the 351C/C6 is in the chassis. :burp:

New goal: Make it run. :arrow:

Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Been a while since I've posted. Made slow progress. The 351C is plumbed and wired. All it needs is exhaust and fluids and it's ready to be fired. Also will put on a coolant catch can of some kind.