my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bruceandersson

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by bruceandersson »

Blast cabinets are great, but you really need a dust collector to go with them or you will not be able to see what you are doing for long.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Just a test fit... :)

I picked up my rear differential today and will install it this week.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

So did you change up on your color and decide to go red
on all the chassis, Or just the rear axle? Liking that red. TR
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Me too....on the red....nice!
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I painted the drive shaft and rear axle and springs red.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

broke my camera! No new videos on youtube cause a shelf in the garage decided to fall down and crush the camera. Will get around to replacing it soon.

I finished painting the back portion of the frame with Chassis Saver black. In the photo, you can see a wind chime array hanging from the canopy of all the misc. parts to the rear springs. I painted some of them with chassis saver, some with spray paint.
I still need to finish some items on the rear differential before I can reassemble the rear and drive shaft.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Got the rearend back in with the springs done. need to do some touch up painting where my jack stands were at.

Next up: Im going to pull the front clip, engine, transmission and rebuild the front suspension, engine and tranny. That is the plan for the next two months.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Sounds like you have the will, desire, and ability to do the job and fix your own mistakes... My description of a true craftsman. Looks awesome.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Liking the red under there. Sets it off against the black nicely. TR
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Over the last week, I went to Oregon to visit my family for a wedding and I had lunch with an old friend out in Canby Oregon. After lunch, i had a few minutes before I had to head back to Portland to fly out and decided to go stop at SMS Auto interiors. I went in back to talk to the guy about getting the material for my Ford and I saw their wall!

They had tons of stuff! Also, shelves full of auto pamplets and books regarding interiors.

These are the samples provided to show the material for my seat I will be ordering. It will have the embossing. I sure hope it is correct, but the guy seemed to be sure! Its going to be about 4 or 5 yards of Red vinyl (will enclose the back of the seat), and about 2 yards of the panel stuff. Embossing is about $75 for a total of about $600 with shipping to me. Seems a lot of money as you guy buy seat covers much cheaper. But this is what is supposed to be in it, and I am wanting an original style interior.

This is a photo i found on the internet a year ago for reference of a 1963 F100 interior. It is a red truck, but the interior was grey. My truck was originally grey exterior and red interior.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

That is going to look nice. A little bit of $$$, but it will be worth it.
1964 F-100
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Wow, that's quite the selection of materials. Very cool!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Took the front suspension out today in preparation to rebuild that.

Most parts are on order. Bushing kit from Dennis Carpenter, drag link and tie rods from National Parts Depot, the axle/spring u-bolts from LMC, and I need a new tie rod adjusting sleeve from somewhere. Everyone is out and mine is bent! I called the Bronco guy over in Wilmington and he said he should have one, I just need to measure the thread diameter area where the tie rod goes to be sure I get the correct one. $$$ flying out my hand here. But weekends off for a few weeks and the weather is still holding nice. Time to get some work done on the truck frame before old man winter comes visiting.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

You're not messing around. It will drive and handle like a new truck...you will love it. Money well spent.
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Today I am off and going to be doing some disassembly on this mess of a front end. I may even get the blaster out and strip the pieces for paint. I pressure washed them the other night with some Purple power to get the heavy gunk off. The passenger side was nasty! Thick coats of caked dried up grease and dirt. Anyway- most of it came off and I propped one end up on a junk saw horse to help dry.

Several of my part orders came in- Dennis Carpenter with all the bushing kits and king pins

half of my LMC order came in with the small ubolts for the front leaf springs. The other box is en route but I doubt it will get here till Monday the 19th.

National Parts Depot for the drag link and leaf spring clamps as well as a few other items.

For the drag link- Take a look at this picture! The original is bent in an opposite direction at one end and I hope it is the source of my stiff steering issue. The new Moog one has a bend, but in a different angle then the original drag link. We shall see how it all mates up when I start re-assembly this week.

We are going to dip into the 30's this weekend for a brief moment, but that just reiterates that we are going into winter soon. The leaves are falling, the temps are falling and I might as well get a move on what I can.
Stand by for more!
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

April...may I suggest that you checkout your steering box? You mentioned about stiff steering and your box might be dry. If I am correct in my thinking, they are to be filled with gear oil (90w). Recheck me on this to make sure that is right. I had a '55 Dodge truck that had a similar steering box as the Ford's and someone had filled it with grease, not oil. I disassembled it, cleaned it, bought new bushings (Dennis Carpenter) and bearings, reassembled and adjusted and it was much, much better....still had some play, but better. Just a suggestion. Your build is moving along great, you're doing all of the right things in the right way. :D
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Steve, with no linkage attached I turned the wheel and it still was stiff. I am going to pull the front clip, engine and all attachments this week to prepare for winter projects while I work on putting the suspension back together. It's time to disable the truck for a bit, I've got about two years to have it rolling again in some fashion. Will keep you posted!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

While disassembling the springs (had to cut the bolts after i was breaking my back with a torch and breaker bar!) I found these shims/ thick part forward... don't know if they were factory.

I took a moment to drain the coolant and it was fine coming out of the drain cock, but when I pulled the hoses, it was a rusty mess coming out of the lower hose. I suspect I have a clog in there- as I had a heat issue when it was idling.

This dinosaur skin is the forward engine mount. So when I bought the truck from a former classmate three years ago, he said he and done an engine rebuild on it. He was trained at WYOTECH and works for NAPA autoparts. So I believed him - and it was dark that night I picked it up. I suspect he bought it, and had intention of rebuilding it or put the shade tree mechanic rebuild back in the truck with shitty engine mounts. Either way- this is not good to go and I will be changing them as soon as I re-install the engine next year.

So I spent the final portion of my evening taking out body panel bolts. WTH! I am sore from sitting on my knees half under a wheel well trying to reach over my head and in awkward positions to remove the rusted fasteners. I found some more factory markings (china marker on the front valance piece) and in the fender. I pulled the radiator out, the coolant overflow tank he had in there (which was full of fluid but hooked up to nothing!) and the front grill (which was only bolted in by two little screws). I have a lot of work to do today by taking out panels and putting them in the upper part of my garage. I have intentions to pull out my blaster as well, but its 34* this morning and it will get to 50 max. UGH. Stand by for more pictures.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

This is the date stamp on my radiator. says 62/12- for December 62. It has a china marker "71" marked on the front valance too- just like the back of my cab, and the forward section of the bed did. Wonder what other gems I am going to find!

Several months back- I bought these books from Ebay- Came in a 3 set. This is very helpful when I am trying to determine what I am getting into- what parts I may need and what order to take them apart in.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

The shims that you found would be to adjust the caster.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel