WrongBedDave's Wrong Bed Build Thread

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

WrongBedDave
United States of America

WrongBedDave's Wrong Bed Build Thread

Post by WrongBedDave »

Most of the start of this thread was covered in my intro thread. New addition being the door on the fuel cell and the future projects section.

Anyway, names Dave and this is my build thread for my 63 wrongbed F100. Trucks a daily driver so I doubt it will ever be perfect but I'm having too much fun working on it (as of writing this I'm 19 and this is my first truck). I'm trying to do as much of the work myself as I can with my Hobart Handler 140, my dads tools and a whole lot of trial and error and sometimes just hardheadedness. :mrgreen: Enjoy!!

So as of making this thread the projects done (roughly in order of completion) have been:

1. Front disk brakes (sorry dont have pictures)

2. Under bed fuel cell:

3. Stereo system:

4. Pulled the 289 that came with the truck and replaced it in favor of a rebuilt 302:

5. Home built long tube headers and exhaust system:

6. Aluminum radiator, trans cooler, E-fan:

7. Custom gauges (pictures to come tomorrow)

8. Rust repairs (Pictures coming tomorrow)

9. Shaved Drip Rails:

10. 1996 F250 Bench seat (still needs covered):

11. Rancho Steering stabilizer (pics coming tomorrow)

12. Flag/Toolbox mount

Upcoming projects are gonna be:

1. Wiring Harness (EZ Wire)
2. Front and rear sway bars
3. Fiberglass headliner/overhead console
4. Megamat sound deadening
5. Swap 4-point harnesses for traditional over the shoulder seatbelts
6. Power brake booster
7. Re-gear/AOD swap
8. Line-X steps and bed
9. Chrome '63 grille to replace the '62 grille

I think thats it for now, ill upload more pics tomorrow once i take some more. If anyone wants more pictures or detail on anything just ask!!!

Thanks for looking!!
Dave

63 Wrong Bed 2WD : 302/C4, drip rails shaved, aluminum radiator/e-fan, 16 gallon fuel cell, "custom" gauges, 1000W sound system

Photobucket Album:
http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j413/davewave649/
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=27105
rickairmedic

Re: WrongBedDave's Wrong Bed Build Thread

Post by rickairmedic »

Dave looks like you have gotten a good bit done already . Make sure to check the hints and tips section for doing the sway bars on a straight axle lots of good info in there .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
WrongBedDave
United States of America

Post by WrongBedDave »

rickairmedic wrote:Dave looks like you have gotten a good bit done already . Make sure to check the hints and tips section for doing the sway bars on a straight axle lots of good info in there .

Rick

Thats what made me decide to do the sway bars :D already book marked and saved for future reference!
Dave

63 Wrong Bed 2WD : 302/C4, drip rails shaved, aluminum radiator/e-fan, 16 gallon fuel cell, "custom" gauges, 1000W sound system

Photobucket Album:
Build Thread:
WrongBedDave
United States of America

Post by WrongBedDave »

Ok heres some more pictures of what ive done.

Gauges:

Swapped around a couple gauges and panels so i could get all the gauges i wanted. Wound up with a bronco "cup" behind the factory speedo to get and oil pressure gauge. With slight modification to where the amp meter goes i was able to slide in an autometer volt meter thats pretty close to the factory gauge style. Then i put this contraption into a 3 hole panel so i would have a spot for a tach and eventually a vacuum gauge. Plus this panel also had provisions for hazard lights.

Rust repairs:

The cowl vents on my truck were pretty rusted out when i pulled the fenders so i wound up cutting off most of the corners and all of the bad metal inside and totally reconstructing them.

I also had to replace the rocker panels and steps but ive only done the driver side at this point more to come later.

Steering stabilizer:

This was a universal kit from summit. Easy enough to install (couple of U-bolts) but im not sure it has helped a whole lot. anyway pics:

Thats it for now more pics and projects in the works tho!
Dave

Photobucket Album:
Build Thread:
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

Looking good, thanks for pics.
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
WrongBedDave
United States of America

Post by WrongBedDave »

Thanks! Should have many more updates this weekend. In the middle of wrapping up the headliner and redoing the wiring.
Dave

Photobucket Album:
Build Thread:
WrongBedDave
United States of America

Post by WrongBedDave »

ok update time! Since schools been back in session i dont get nearly as much done as i do during the summer.

Ive wrapped up nearly all of the wiring, went pretty smoothly except for some gremlins with the brakelights and turn signal switch. Wound up just replacing the turn signal switch with a new one (NPD).

For the brake light switch i got tired of fighting the pressure switches so i went with a normally closed switch that is actuated by the arm on the brake pedal instead.

Still have a few things that need wired in and im gonna redo part of my headliner. Still have no stereo (head unit and amps need wired in) and I'm adding power windows and door locks plus a light for the flag in the bed.

Finally got the passenger side step and rocker replaced, went much faster than the driver side i guess it helped to know what i was doing for once :mrgreen:

Will post pics of what i have done tomorrow or the day after. Im in the middle of finals week right now. cry.gif
Dave

Photobucket Album:
Build Thread:
WrongBedDave
United States of America

Post by WrongBedDave »

Got one side of the power window conversion done. Thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29414

Still working away at that headliner, had to redo the entire front face of the console to get the stereo to fit right. New sub enclosure is being sanded and primed this week so hopefully the wiring can be completed when I'm home for spring break in a few weeks. I'm planning on pulling the steering stabilizer, not sure that its really doing anything other than making steering more difficult at low speeds.

Was hoping to have more progress by now but some progress is better than none.
Dave

Photobucket Album:
Build Thread:
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Dave,
Will we get to see the new features this year at the F100 Western Nationals?

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
WrongBedDave
United States of America

Post by WrongBedDave »

Yup the truck and i will definitely be there. Hopefully the electronics are done by then along with the headliner and maybe a few other things. I move in to my new apartment the 21st but ill move in a day or two late if i have to to be able to be at the Western Nats haha
Dave

Photobucket Album:
Build Thread:
WrongBedDave
United States of America

Post by WrongBedDave »

Wrapped up the power windows this past weekend, still working out bugs and playing with ways to improve them but for now they are done :roll:

New sub enclosure is in and done. Still needs wired up tho.

Wound up scrapping the overhead console i had been working on and am modifying a store bought under dash console to replace it so the headliner still isnt done.

Wired in a jumper to keep the parking lights on when the headlights come on.
Dave

Photobucket Album:
Build Thread: