1962 Mercury Longbed Uni

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

The Big M
Canada

Re: 1962 Mercury Longbed Uni

Post by The Big M »

Not too much to report, but thought I'd share the new garage plan I've been toying with. I'm looking to reorganize it into a hybrid shop for working on my truck, storing the summer car, and doing some light woodworking projects. I've got lots of wall space and not much floor space, so hanging storage and high shelves are on the must-have list, along with mobile workbenches that can be tucked away when not in use. With the summer car hugging the opposite wall I should have just enough room to walk around my truck on all sides. :)

Last edited by The Big M on August 18, 2017, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

The first snowfall of the season has hit, so it might just be time to switch to the configuration pictured above.

Yesterday I scored another innie wheel from Alberta62 to complete my set of 4, and as an added bonus it has a tire that holds air! That means I'll finally be able to move the truck around on my wheel dollies, which don't work at all on a deflated tire.

That little win has me taking an inventory of stuff I'm still missing. Which brings me to the interior:

What all am I missing here? I already have an ignition switch with key, so that's taken care of, but what's the missing knob to the left of the column. Cigar lighter?

I'm also curious about the white painted section on the door. Is that factory? The passenger side is all red, without the white section.
Last edited by The Big M on August 18, 2017, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

The Big M wrote:What all am I missing here? I already have an ignition switch with key, so that's taken care of, but what's the missing knob to the left of the column. Cigar lighter?

I'm also curious about the white painted section on the door. Is that factory? The passenger side is all red, without the white section.

the white spot is factory for 2 tone 61-62 dont know why its not on the ps it should be

and yes lighter is to the left of the column
truck with no lighter gets a chrome push in cap
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Thanks, Ice. 8)
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Yee-haw!

Thanks to Alberta62 I now have a gas cap, along with a few other goodies. :)

I was strongly considering mounting a spun aluminum tank in the bed after abandoning my original in-cab unit, but I had some concerns about functionality, capacity, the potential loss of bed space, and figuring out an appropriate sender setup. I was also looking at running a tonneau cover and wasn't sure how well that would work with an in-bed tank.

I may still go that route in the future, but the new plan is to grab the tank out of Alberta62's parts truck. It still holds fuel and has had a cap on it, unlike mine which was exposed to the harsh prairie elements and allowed to rust out from the inside. I'm thinking I can just have it cleaned out, drop it in and run it without too much trouble.

Still have a bunch of home renos to finish up before getting back on this project (along with the aforementioned garage reorganization), but I'm starting to work out tentative plans for a summer thrash to get this Merc mobile. :D
Last edited by The Big M on August 18, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alberta62
Canada

Post by Alberta62 »

Looks good there, maybe we can both make Kansas next year.
62 Unibody shortbox, 5.0/AOD, Dakota front end, rear axle over
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Update! This summer has been a crazy non-stop push to get our house ready for sale and listed so that we can move to our new one. So far so good, and the end is in sight. We've been picking away at getting stuff moved, including the truck and a bunch of spare parts and pieces. The poor fellow has sat in the same position for the last 7 years so in order to prep for the move I finally changed the rotten old second-hand radial for the air-holding roller that Alberta62 kindly provided ages ago. :)

It took four of us to push the truck up on the car hauler and a lot of finesse to get it unloaded safely, but it now lives in its own little 12' wide bay, which is a step up from being jammed against the wall in a narrow double. I'm also happy to report that I'll be residing in a car-guy neighbourhood. :D
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Nice to hear.

I'm looking forward to more pictures.

Nic
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Thanks! I'll be sure to post some more once things settle down. I didn't get a chance to organize all my tools and spare parts beforehand so the movers just kind of dumped everything in the garage. I have tools stashed in plastic totes, shelves with nothing on them and garden tools scattered about so I'll have some re-organizing to do in the coming weeks. Thankfully the house came with a good-sized garden shed so I should be able to free up a ton of space that way.

The old garage had the edge in terms of lighting, outlets, and was heated, but the new one is definitely more spacious. :)
Alberta62
Canada

Post by Alberta62 »

Glad to hear you found a bigger place to work on the Merc. Let me know if you'd like a hand.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Thanks! Will do. Any updates on your uni?
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Here's a view of the truck tucked into its new home:

Not too shabby. I'll have room to walk around on all four sides, and I can always open the overhead door for a little more space in front. :)
Alberta62
Canada

Post by Alberta62 »

No updates lately, but im going to try and get back to it this fall.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Nice!

Small victory today, I finally managed to rebuild the photo links throughout this thread. So hopefully the whole story makes more sense now. :)