my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Yesterday I got the rear fenders and tailgate ready for paint.

Here the tailgate sits in clear!

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Decided today would be a good day to put the 223 inline 6 together. I grabbed all my parts from the upstairs storage and fro, under the plastic sheets inside the lower garage. Put them all out in the driveway and got to work on installing the piston rings and con rods.
Got the crank installed, the bearing caps, rear main seal (2piece and tricky since I've never done it). Oil pump and pickup tube installed as well.

Then I flipped engine block over and installed the camshaft. Went to put the timing gear on and low and behold my woodruff key is missing, I swear it was there before but not in sight now. I searched for two hours! No where.
Parts stores all closed as I walked up and it's the fourth weekend. Shit out of luck today. Might get lucky tomorrow after work.

Since the day got sidelined I repainted my valve cover and the fan blade. The paint on the, from a year ago was not protected and there was a lot of settled paint dust overspray lying on them. Scuffed and shot some more shiny red on that cover.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Sorry for not updating over the past few
Days- I have been burning some midnight oil to get stuff finished.

I assembled the engine (3 times) because the timing gear/old shop manuals were tripping me up. There should be a spacer between the gear and the camshaft but I never had one from
The two separate engines last year. But it looks like the timing gear has that spacer now built into it.

The engine took way too long to get to this point.

I dropped it in the chassis very carefully (by myself might I add)

Once I got that done- I installed the front clip. I dropped the passenger fender and the area closest to the lower passenger door got
A Scuff (2 bare metal dings) I will need to dab a bit of paint on.

Up next will be finishing the truck bed. I will install the transmission just for transport to VA but not for driving. There is still
Some stuff I need to do on that to make it drive-able.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

April,
I'm always impressed by how much work you get done in a single post and the quality of the work you do! I've had my 390 in my truck for a few months and I'm just now ready to put the front clip back on - you did it all in one day!?!

btw - I noticed you're using postimage.org for to host your images. I looked at that site today and might start using it for my photobucket alternative. It lets you load a list of URLs (from photobucket) and might be a good way to migrate some of our old links. I haven't walked through the process yet to see how cumbersome it might be to migrate the images and update the links in one of my posts.

postimage.org also has a plugin that could be run on the forum page that would allow us to upload images right from the forums and have them redirected to postimage.org. Hopefully postimage will keep the service free, but I stopped trusting free sites a while ago. I still think the best solution would be to rent some space with the same provider that's hosting the slick60s.com site and ask folks to donate to the maintenance cost.

Congrats on your build - will you have a space to work on your truck when you move to Virginia?

Regards,
Corey
1966 F250 LWB
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I built the engine in two evenings after work. The day I put it in the chassis was same day I assembled front clip on.

I didn't do much today. Had a work day right smack dab in middle of the day. But I did clean the garage. Now that I got a lot of parts back on the truck, the garage is bigger!

My new place is twice the bedrooms, half the garage compared to the house I'm in here in NJ.

I did jack the truck bed up, slid my tank in the frame rail And marked a few things to do.

I put a few pieces of flare on the flareside too.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Here's the the video I made about the engine, Gary was kind enough to face time with me regarding that timing gear issue.

https://youtu.be/3NQUFFcfjzs
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '

Post by shipwrecked »

Alright. This weekend so far has been cosmeticly productive.

Last night I welded on my brand new (1 year owned now) mustang gas tank. I relocated the filler over a few inches. After welding and grinding I used a petroleum safe epoxy put over the weld in case I had a pinhole. I filled the tank a few times with water when checking pinholes, I think I got them all. Of course I ran out of gas for the welder last night too.

This morning I sprayed a 3m undercoating on the tank and installed it in the frame. What a pain in the ass. I installed a 1/8" npt "vent" thru the filler neck as well.

I put the truck bed back down and struggled with Alignment. I got 4 corner bolts in for now.

I installed the hood hinges since tomorrow a coworker will come over and help me install the hood.

I also installed the fender welting and bolted the fenders on.

Tomorrow I will install the hood, tailgate and might hook up steering and transmission. Install the battery box and maybe even some engine components.

It's time to clean out the upstairs garage for the movers.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Despite getting to work super early, I feel like I accomplished little.

I had a friend from work come by and help put the hood on. Dumb dumb move, I should have bought new hinges. Once I put weight on mine, and the years of grime washed out of these old ones, the driver hinge gets stuck open and you have to pry it down.

The core support was 1/2 nice off towards the driver side and with the 1/2"fine thread bolts holding it down just didn't allow for movement, hand filing the holes egged, and putting 7-16 bolts in instead, I got the dang thing to align.

I found that my hood latch assembly no longer works correctly either.
Need a new one.

So- first purchase when I get to VA- hood hinges and a hood latch. In the mean time I will ratchet strap the hood in the closed position for transport to VA.

Tomorrow after work I have a co-worker coming over to assist loading the truck on a trailer. No brakes, poor steering and non-driver so we will be careful.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

if you get aftermarket hood hinges they are a crapshoot.i got a set and one hinge fit perfect and the other I had to grind the holes bigger and still shim the hood alittle on that side to get it to shut decent.i found a guy in va. that restores original hood hinges last year but he quoted me $500 to restore the factory hinges.i only paid $600 for the whole truck and i'm not making a show truck.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I've always had good luck using penetrating oil to free up the hood hinges. Just spray and work back and forth a while.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

since you blasted, primed, and painted them, I would do all I could to clean them out and use penatrating oil to work them in, then a finish with a fine white grease. work them in well by hand
I folded one side and tweaked the hood before I learned that lesson, I removed the springs to make it easy to spot rough spots.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

April,
On page one your pictures are gone,page 31 pictures look good.Have you found a new way to post them......let us know.
Thanks
Dan
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Just clicked your last pic...You're using POSTIMAGE,gonna give it a try..............a few minutes later........

Said it's not compatible with this device IPhone
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

On the hinges the guy in VA does a great job he did the ones for cas. He quoted what he charges for normal GM hinges and was good to his word. But he also told me that they are more complicated and use different size bushing material than normal and that the new price would be the now quoted 500 a set. :shock:
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

that's what he told me.he said it took different size rivots.i'm not doubting his work or his price.just for me personally I couldn't justify that on hood hinges but other people can.also i'm not going for a perfect restoration,just a worn looking work truck that I can ride in like I did with my 63 f100 when I was 19.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Mr. Jones wrote:Just clicked your last pic...You're using POSTIMAGE,gonna give it a try..............a few minutes later........

Said it's not compatible with this device IPhone
Weird.. I use an iPhone. That's how I loaded these photos.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Last few days I've been busting my butt between house and work. The packing company was here two days ago and boxed the majority of my house up. It seriously would be easier to burn the house down and start over. (I say that in a complete joking manner not that I would ever wish that!)

I had some help getting the truck loaded onto my trailer. I've been modifying the trailer a little bit to put D rings into the deck for tie down straps.

Today I need to go buy a drill since my 3/8" craftsman died the other night. I had to go to work Tuesday evening after the packing company left. Got 100 kids off the busses and then got home at 0230. Dumb dumb me left my military ID in the cac reader attached to the computer so I had to go in yesterday around noon to get it. Well, that turned into 6 hours of being trapped at work with a group of people who did t quite know what to do. So I ended up handling a lot of issues they needed help on.

Got home, drained the gas from all my small engines. Unwired the air compressor and drained all oil.

The packers will be here at 0800 to load the truck and take it all away.

Anyway, truck on the trailer took an hour.

Drove it around the block a few times and it was pretty secure!

Internet is going down today till next week. Will only have my phone so a slow up on posting.

Did a video walk around of my truck last night.

https://youtu.be/Oz6UZMWgcJY
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Really impressed! My initial thoughts at the beginning of the video was it looked ready to drive onto the trailer, then the interior shots explained why not. God speed on your move.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Have a safe trip! Enjoy the voyage.