'62 Unibody Still Plugging Along

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

LM14
United States of America

Re: '62 Unibody Still Plugging Along

Post by LM14 »

On another thread on here, MN66 posted pics of his power steering pump bracket on his FE. I liked it. Said he got it from Borgeson so I ordered one. Worked great with my pump setup but placed the pump too far out and it was right against the inner fender when adjusted all the way out.

Nothing like hacking up brand new parts!

Moved the head mounting holes over 1.5". That put the outer bolt behind the pump. Since the pump sits basically flush against the bracket I had to countersink an Allen bolt to clear the back of the pump. Once moved in, it just barely cleared the fuel pump and water pump. Hacked a bit of newly made extra material and re-shaped the bracket and cleaned up all the edges. Now I just need a slightly shorter belt than the one that fit my homemade mount (that I wasn't too proud of) and that problem is handled.

Thanks for the tip MN66!

Mount after moving holes but extra material still on mount.

Bracket marked.

And cut.

Cleaned up.

Started to countersink the unneeded hole to weld it shut but decided I like it looking like this.

Mounted and ready to go.

I'm back at it!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Some more on the PS mounts I modified yesterday. I still thought it sat too far out from the engine and had a lot of angle in it so I took it a step further. I just decided to make the adjustment slot longer since there was plenty of room. The countersunk mounting bolt left me this option.

The new slot location:

Slot cut, bracket cleaned up and ready to go back on:

This is how the bracket mounts on the engine now:

Pump all the way in as tight as possible:

Pump all the way out as far as it goes:

It's all good now!
SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Steve: Glad to see you back at it!

So, I'm guessing you have HEAT this Winter?? :)

James
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Not yet. Furnace is sitting on the floor waiting for the expert to put it in. As well as it's insulated, I can shut the room this project is in and have it warmed up in a few minutes with a propane heater and it holds the heat pretty well. Would sure be nice to have a real furnace hooked up though!

bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Good work on the bracket detail. Little things make the difference.
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

Nice work as usual!
fordtrux62
United States of America

Post by fordtrux62 »

I HAVE CHATED WITH YOU AND LOOKED AT YOUR BUILD TRUE PIECE OF ART IMPRESSIVE WORK
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

[

SPark[/quote]

Is that scoop one of the ones Speedway sells. Love it!!!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Yes, that was a Speedway scoop.

SPark

foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Every time I look at that Maverick I think of how many of those old cars were bumping along the road here, all beat up and rusty. So many of those old cars were just maintenance nightmares.. but wow was there a lot broader spread of designs and shapes than today. Remember all the big ole square land yachts.. Thunderbirds, Caddies etc.

It always makes me think of the 67 Mustang that drove around here. It had a broken rear Spring on the back left...sat real low.. garbage in the passenger seats up above the bottom of the windows, and it was always pulling a Burro camper.. just as dirty as the car. It was obviously someones transport AND home. I would see it all over town for years.. I wonder if the car or the driver went first...
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

LM14 wrote:Yes, that was a Speedway scoop.

SPark
Back in 73 I had one on a 63 Chevy II. Have you ever set it up on the F100 hood? Been thinking about one for mine...since I'm building it into a early 70's street freak style...
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Never set it on anything else. Bought it specifically for the Maverick. Was the plan from day 1. Now it's gone and the Fairmont is sitting there!

SPark

Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

When both are done, you'll have to get a picture of it on a trailer and behind your slick like Leeroy's picture with the Mustang. Or, pull it to the next Slickstock they're both done by.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Many of you have probably seen my other thread on here about taking control back of my life. Been selling off a lot of old parts that have been sitting here forever. It's allowed me to order a few more parts for the unibody and actually find the floor all around it and actually touch it! Something about selling 8 engines, 3 transmissions, 4 bellhousings/scatter shields, 3 shifters, 10 intakes, 20 sets of wheels, 4 tunnel rams (with carbs on 2 of them) and a half a pickup load of small parts and several sets of heads sure makes for a cleaner couple of rooms. I still have several 351W to sell (from bare blocks to full race engine) and a couple sets of wheels and lots of odds and ends. Also decided to sell the Fairmont and probably the '55 after the Fairmont is gone. Want to concentrate on the unibody and one other car.

I did get the second cowl vent Jeff gave me cut into usable pieces to remove the wiper arm areas at the base of my windshield. Also worked on sorting a few parts, taking some parts apart to restore, got some stuff blasted and primed and worked on a few of the smaller dents on the body. Once/if the Fairmont is gone, I will have the uni in the middle of the room where I can really work on it much easier.

Love reading everyone elses build threads, keep up the good work!

SPark

Backyardbuilder

Post by Backyardbuilder »

I just read through this entire build thread. Awesome work! Any more progress? Last update was almost a year ago.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I quit updating (and pretty much working) on it when Photobucket screwed everyone over. For some reason it's all back!

My latest update is I'm pretty much screwed at this point. I sold a lot of parts off I've kept for years. Spent that money on a Pete and Jake's '32 Ford chassis. Then I ordered a New Age Motorsports '32 Ford 5 window coupe. After everything was ordered, I found out my cancer is back.

My plan at this time is try to get the '32 to be a driver. I have another '32 Ford 5 window project i got in a trade (before we found the cancer was back) and it's for sale. The unibody will probably be for sale if things don't improve.

SPark

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Got the unibody dug out! Found everything. Cleaned up an Edelbrock intake and 670 Street Avenger carb to use to break in the engine when the time comes. Project is back on!

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Another followed me home! This is a '26 Ford Model T coupe, putting it on a Model A street rod frame and building a mid 60's style dirt modified. Swap meet and spare parts. The Model A chassis stuff came with a cheapo '32 I had done some trading to get. Sold that fiberglass body last weekend and had the frame stuff left.

The drugs they have me on won't let me sleep and I'm awake 20-22 hours a day. This has become my therapy and keeps me from dwelling on the problems. Been using the '32 build solving to keep my mind busy, it's ready to come apart for some body work and primer before going back together and trying to get thru the IDOT hoops to title and drive it.

Also been working on the uni but since those problems are all solved, it doesn't help my mind set right now. Problem solving and creating does. I do have things in place to start hacking the back of the cab out and putting in the big window section!

The most solid 26/27 T body I have run across. Looking at another one this week that will have all the missing parts in usable condition (hopefully).

Looking forward to slick stock now!
SPark

Backyardbuilder

Post by Backyardbuilder »

I'm new to the forum and just now catching your thread. Truck looks good. Keep up the good fight, I'll be thinking of you and a speedy recovery!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Time for an update!

Still fighting with cancer. On my 5th treatment regime, had a few nasty reactions. The last one has made my heart go out of rhythm and I am in AFIB for the 2nd time in 2 months. Get it shocked back into place next week, again.

Ended up with 2 - '26 T coupe bodies and lots of parts. They served their purpose and kept my mind busy when I was at my worst. Sold all the "T" stuff last weekend. Now I am down to only 2 projects, My '32 5 window coupe and the '62 short bed unibody.

On the '32 front we are turning things shiny. I painted the engine/tranny and some of the smaller detail parts at home. The frame, gas tank, wheels, rear end, center section, brakes, steering box, master cylinder, brake pedal, steering column and more are at the paint shop. Starting to bring parts home with paint on them.

On the '62 uni side of things, I've dug the truck out. Last night I sat down and ordered a new PerTronix distributor, coil and wires, Edelbrock fuel pump and a pair of Borla mufflers. Next step is to cut the right side motor mounts loose and level the engine. My welder was acting up the last time I worked on the truck and while I messed with it the jack holding the engine in place settled about 1/4". Need to level that baby back up! Then it's back to making the exhaust and I'll pull the engine. Get the tranny rebuilt, assemble the actual engine (1967 390" Mustang GTA short block, '61 hipo heads with a bit of grinding on them, truck 4x4 pan, Edelbrock intake with Holley 670 Street Avenger carb for break in) and get moving forward on this thing! Still have to cut the back of the cab out and install the big window section, too.

Stay tuned, hopefully we can accomplish something in the next few months.

SPark