Headliner install help

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

skidoorulz
United States of America

Headliner install help

Post by skidoorulz »

I have a couple of questions regarding installing the new headliner. First, Do the wider clips go on the front of the top piece and the narrow ones are for the rear of the top piece to hold the back piece up. Second on the ammonia and water solution to soften the headliner is it 4 parts ammonia and 1 part water, or visa versa? And how long does the ammonia fragrance :lol: last? Also where exactly do all the screws that have the washers on them go? I have eleven I believe. I know that one goes in the center of the top piece. The other 10 I have forgotten where they go.
foodstick

Re: Headliner install help

Post by foodstick »

One of the main keys to this project that I have read over and over is lay it out on a hot DAY AND LET IT BECOME MORE FLEXIBLE FOR THE INSTALL.
oldtrucks
United States of America

Re: Headliner install help

Post by oldtrucks »

skidoorulz

I've never heard of using ammonia in the water. I use straight water and it works quite well. Be sure to let the headliner soak up well so it is flexable. I use a spray bottle and it may take a couple of applications before it is wet enough. I'm not sure where the clips go as its been a while since I installed a headliner. Locate the screw holes so you know where they go. Figure out how to brace the headliner in place while it dries. Find a friend to help with the install and take your time. It isn't necessary to soak the whole head liner only the areas around the edges where it flexes.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus