Another Crown Vic/Slick chassis swap. Project "Dark Horse"

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Telford
United States of America

Re: Another Crown Vic/Slick chassis swap. Project "Dark Hors

Post by Telford »

Nothing more than a little bit of progress going on this weekend. I had one of my sons helping me build a frame bracket out of some 1" angel iron and pushed it up a little higher to insure I have enough clearance for when the bags are in place . It's getting closer, I hope to be rolling in the next few weeks

Imageg

Telford
United States of America

Post by Telford »

Well I'm getting closer, was able to give it a little test spin around the block just because it needed it. I am done with school this week, hope to get the truck buttoned up next week and take it out and give it a good shake down. Was surprised how different it felt just going around the block. I'm going to love it.

I need to get the bed mounts made and the electric stuff all squared away, ie the lights, blinkers etc. I have a few ideas for the gauges and dash, will work on those later on. Rims showed up over the weekend, just need to go get some tire for them.

Imageb
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Looks great! Keep up the great project. I'm a bit jealous. I owned a 2005 CV PI and had planned to do a swap but life got in the way and my daughter needed a car so it was sold to fund her Mustang. I will have another one and a Slick sometime!!!
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Its gonna be nice ;) those frame rails sure are cleaner, and nicer than my older Crown Vic...
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

foodstick wrote:Its gonna be nice ;) those frame rails sure are cleaner, and nicer than my older Crown Vic...

They are cleaner than the 2005 I owned as well. Could be he's a dryer climate in Utah?
Telford
United States of America

Post by Telford »

I was pretty happy with everything when I got the crown Vic tore apart. There are issues but you can tell it was well taken care of. I was also really happy with the slick. Both rigs were in really great shape. The body work on the slick is going to be a chore, but I've seen worse, a lot worse
Telford
United States of America

Post by Telford »

Here's a little update, just working on getting the body all lined up and some electrical, I have been chasing done gremlins for the last couple of days or I would have been done by now. Oh well here's to crossing my fingers I have it done for a Cruise night next week

orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Looks great love the wheels and stance. Need some pics of how the interior worked out when you get them.
Telford
United States of America

Post by Telford »

All was going so well, then this happened

Imageh

orangeRcode, not much done on the interior so far, it's pretty much the same. I will be working on gauges and a few other things once I get the intake and wiring done.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Intake crack?
Telford
United States of America

Post by Telford »

Yes, in the front and on the back, it is really not that hard, but a PITA!
Telford
United States of America

Post by Telford »

Finally feel like I'm getting some place. Lucked out and found a new intake at pick and pull that was awesome, updated, I doubt it had been on the car very long. The thermostat looked brand new. A buddy stopped by, got the doors on and some electrical done. Feeling a lot better today.

orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Love the stance! Looks perfect :cheers:
sloth71

Post by sloth71 »

Awesome build! I'm subscribing for bag updates
Telford
United States of America

Post by Telford »

Finally I was able to get it out on the road. First of all like everyone says, it rides like a dream. I thought for a minute that I might loose the truck feel. Fortunately it still feels like a truck, just handles better. I was also told it would feel under powered. I don't feel that way at all! I have plenty of power, one could always use more, but I'm not disappointed! Handles like a dream, took it up a canyon road last night and was super excited. From here I need to get the body lines into a better shape, the interior, gauges and such. The doors close and the lines match up but they have issues that need to be addressed. Anyway I'm super thrilled at this point and happy with how it turned out to this point.

JRANGER

Post by JRANGER »

pretty sweet man, I want to do a push button start on mine too
sloth71

Post by sloth71 »

What are the spec on your wheels and tires? Is there any extra room to go taller or wider?
mow$$

Post by mow$$ »

Your build has inspired my son and I to try a cv chassis swap. Did you use the CV radiator or the one from the 65? We were hoping to use the CV radiator but it seems to be too far forward which throws off the the fore/aft position of the wheels in the front fenders. Yours looks great. Advice?
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I'm glad to see another guy experience that Crown Vic ride ..under his ole Slick.. I have to admit its a good feeling when you accomplish something so nice on a budget...
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

mow$$ wrote:Your build has inspired my son and I to try a cv chassis swap. Did you use the CV radiator or the one from the 65? We were hoping to use the CV radiator but it seems to be too far forward which throws off the the fore/aft position of the wheels in the front fenders. Yours looks great. Advice?

I used the cv radiator. Just needs to be moved aft on the frame rails a couple inches.