Rear parking brake cables

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Daddywags

Rear parking brake cables

Post by Daddywags »

Hello - I need to add rear parking brake cables to my '62 Flairside (short box.) The previous owner had cut them off when he installed the 9" rear end. Does anyone know if I can replace them with original cables, or might there be a length issue? At least I have all the hardware for the forward cable assembly.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Rear parking brake cables

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I can't think of a reason that stock cables shouldn't work for length. There are long and short wheel base cables. But, most drum brake systems compensate for wider drum widths by offsetting the backing plate inward.... so that helps length issues. I can't imagine a nine inch with narrower drums than the original 61 and 62's.
Cable hole size might change but I doubt it. I have swaped a 69 rear Axel into a 61 and reused the stock cables on the newer brakes.

wait and get some of the other members input, and see if they have different experiences.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

They are also different length for left side and right side of the truck due to the cable pivot mount being off center as well.

I had one of mine froze-up from broken wire strands internally and had to order a new one from O'Reilly's.

That is how I found out about the different lengths side to side.
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Inline tube will make any length you need in stainless. The emergency brake setup on these trucks really suck. Very poor system and was eventually replaced with the foot operated system in the 70's. Suggest you remove the one cable you have and lube it and make sure it is working freely, before installing new cables, to make sure it is working freely. Inline tube cables are more expensive, and although I have a set, I have as yet not installed these on anything, so I can't testify as to how good these are or are not. Hopefully, being stainless these will not be as prone to being corroded . These cables run about 70 to 80$ each.

Rich
Daddywags

Post by Daddywags »

Hummm.......different lengths. I can see how that could be after crawling under the truck again. My catalogs and searches only show one length, and some of them are different. I had a pair off a '64 parts truck, but they were too short as I recall. Probably should've just tried to relocate the pivot mount. I have already disassembled the handle and lubed the forward cable assembly thanks to a previous how to post I'd run into some time ago - thanks for suggestion, 64. I appreciate all of your inputs!!!