SLEEPING BEAUTY MB DIESEL 64 FORD F100 LONG WIDE BED PROJECT

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61sleepercab
United States of America

SLEEPING BEAUTY MB DIESEL 64 FORD F100 LONG WIDE BED PROJECT

Post by 61sleepercab »

Craigslist queen that was not a prank or in Nowhere USA, a 64 F100 long wide bed find with almost perfect body. She was bought by a Ford nut for a donor body on 80's frame swap that never happened. I dealt for her and am in the process of research and getting her to the first vehicles 3 S's Starting, Steering and Stopping . She has a Mercedes Benz OM314 4 cylinder diesel engine with a 4 speed tranny. The engine was 85-100 hp and built between 1964 and 1980. The truck has worn many colors, originally Turquoise, then State Road (safety) yellow, with a pealing White top coat with Blue rust prevention dabbing. I plan to keep the MB diesel in place if runnable , or repower with a 6 cylinder I have in a donor frame. I plan to kill the rust and seal the shade tree patina less the green pond scum. The body is solid except for two fifty cent piece sized holes in one fender and the tailgate hinge end. This is real rare for a West Virginia truck as they salt the crap out of the roads here in winter. I plan a low budget retro rat rod with no body mods. Let the fun begin. I will try to attach photos of the before.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: SLEEPING BEAUTY MB DIESEL 64 FORD F100 LONG WIDE BED PRO

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Yep, cover the basics. Sounds like you have plenty to clean up and test. That old of a diesel should be mechanically injected. Probably Bosch, VE or P pump if you're lucky, both of which are well documented on how to set up. Easy to turn up the power, once you've got the basics sorted out.

Feed us lots of pictures, and we will help as much as possible.
And welcome from Kansas.

I'm trying to finish a Cummins build in a 61 Uni.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

Thanks for the reply. The MB engine has a mechanical injector pump with no blower. I hope it is ok because the swap is unusual to say the least and people would get a kick out of it. The engine was used in ton trucks and small buses, so it should power an empty classic truck. Remember flathead V-8 were 100hp when new. I am having trouble figuring out posting pictures and it seems to time out with my slow satellite connection.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Pictures must be hosted on the net, photo bucket, etc and the link pasted in your text
Here is the how to -> viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13739
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

There was a guy with a slick that had an om617 turbo in it. His son worked repairing MB. I asked for lots of pictures but I never saw the thread again.

Nic
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

Project update: We pull started the OM314 4 cylinder engine , it fired up within 15 feet with no smoke and no bad rattles. We have to get juice from the batteries to the starter as the series/parallel switch just buzzes . The engine at 1200 rpm held 100psi oil pressure, with 50 psi at 700 rpm with old oil. There is hope for the diesel F100. I am still having picture troubles posting.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I was never able to post pictures directly from my phone. There is a different web site on photobucket depending on the device you are using. You can add the photos directly from your phone, but I've had to use my PC to get the link for posting here. Hope that helps.
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

Progress since last post....GM steering wheel in truck was stock length and too long for Ford stuck too far into the cab towards the seat. I am going to put in a 1985 Firebird tilt in instead . The MB diesel has a 24 volt starter but I have found a 12 volt model instead. Truck at a friend's house 2 counties away so visits are few and far between . New wheel cylinders will make the stopping possible. I like the 3 's Starting, Steering and Stopping!!!!
Jason_S
United States of America

Post by Jason_S »

I, for one, would love to see photos.
"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

1964 F-100, 223/3-spd
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

ImageImageImageImage
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

I finally figured out photobucket so here are some pictures. Enjoy.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Congrats on getting her started. The four cylinder takes up more room than I thought it would.
If you haven't found wheel cylinders Macs classic auto parts should have them cheap, if you don't mind online ordering. I see you all ready have a booster and dual master cylinder. Keep up the good work.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle