Title/Regestration question

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

azriel

Title/Regestration question

Post by azriel »

I just bought a 66 longbed, and it was registered by the previous owner as a historical vehicle.
I don't want to register it as a historical vehicle because I fully intend to use it as a daily driver. The problem is that when I went to the DMV In KCMO the women working there told me I could ONLY register it as a historical vehicle. I've never heard anything about that and it sounded like a load of bull, the people telling me this didn't exactly sound sure of what they were telling me.

What do you guys think, should I just bite the bullet and only get to legaly drive my new truck 1000 miles per year? Or should I just try again at a different DMV office.

PS: I'll post pictures as soon as I can.
engineers motto: if it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Title/Regestration question

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i would look up your states dmv online and see what the rules are.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

X2 I can't believe that it has to stay as a historic vehicle for ever.
Tom Williams
azriel

Post by azriel »

I scoured the Missouri DMV site and it said nothing about being unable to switch it back to a regular title, my concern is that Mo is the most bureaucratic state I have ever lived in.

I even called the Jefferson City (the states DOT central office), and they said there should be no problem switching to a regular title. I can only assume that the clerks I originally spoke with just didn’t know what the heck they were talking about.

If I can’t get it done directly I could go the salvage title route, Its a pain in the neck and will take weeks longer but I know it will work that way.

Thanks for the answers guys.
engineers motto: if it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i would avoid a salvage title if at all possible as it may create issues later on with insurance or if you ever decide to sell.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Dan-64
United States of America

Post by Dan-64 »

Here in Michigan, you can register a vehicle with historic or authentic (year-of-manufacture) plates, but there is nothing different about the title for a historical vs. non-historical vehicle. I had my '68 F250 registered with authentic plates, and then began using it more regularly and switched back to regular plates. They said "No problem" and let me switch back easily.
Dan

1964 F100, 262 I-6
1964 F500, 223 I-6
1968 F250 4x4, 360 V8