Y-Block in Engine Masters

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

charliemccraney

Y-Block in Engine Masters

Post by charliemccraney »

For the Y-Block Enthusiasts,

There will be a vintage class this year for Engine families that were around 1954 and earlier, excluding hemis and it is virtually unlimited as to what can be done to the engine. Since the family had to be around in 1954, that means 292 and 312 blocks are legal.

Apparently Jon Kaase, the guy who has won engine masters 5 times, is planning to run a Y-Block in the vintage class. That could be real good for aftermarket support. I think some manufacturers will take notice of a Kaase built Y block.

The last Y ran in 2010, built by Ted Eaton, and produced about 522hp and 477 ft lbs on 91 octane. It did well, finishing 16th overall, considering how little development it has compared to the other engines, which in most cases were also larger in displacement. Since that time, naturally aspirated Ys are aproaching the 600hp mark (I think 585hp is the highest so far).
It looks like the fuel will be higher octane vp101 this year. That, on top of 5 years of additional development, built by a guy who clearly knows how to build engines should be very interesting.

Ted may also be entering one but needs to also find a way to make it financially feasible. Ted has the advantage of sheer experience with the Y and Jon is a great, innovative builder. Two Y's by these guys in the same competition would be quite cool.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
LM14
United States of America

Re: Y-Block in Engine Masters

Post by LM14 »

Wasn't the Olds 394 available in '59. It's a direct descendant of the 303 that was available in '49. Bad news for the Y-block unless it's a stroker.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
charliemccraney

Lack of displacement is a potential problem, but most vintage engines don't have much development behind them. If the generation 1 Olds does have the same sort of support as the Y, then it could be a real challenge if anyone enters one. I did a brief search and don't see much.

Displacement is unlimited, so I'm sure they Y will be a stroker. The 2010 entry was 375ci. Of course, that means any other engine can be as well so that is not necessarily a benefit.

Quite a few vintage engines do have the displacement advantage but the aftermarket parts just aren't there for them to really use that displacement and be a real contender. The Lincoln Y-Block, for example, up to 368ci from the factory, is only good for about 500hp because there are not many aftermarket parts for them. More displacement will not necessarily help in that case. A Ford Y of equal displacement would dominate that easily.

I'm interested to see what shows up and how they perform.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

The first Hemi was in 1951. Of course they had to level the playing field by eliminating the mighty Hemi. Did NASCAR write the rules for this competition? Just the word strikes fear in the competition.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

The Hemi has it's own class. The won't be left out.
Tom Williams
charliemccraney

In the 2010 EMC, the Y beat a 426 based hemi,an early hemi and one of the Gen III Hemis at 397ci. A Gen III Hemi at 417ci did beat it, though. The 426 based Hemi and Early Hemi did not finish, so there's no telling how they would have done.

The scoring system is done in a way that levels the playing field. It's not about who makes the most power, rather who makes the most average power per ci.

An early Hemi probably would win but I don't think it would be by much. I would like to see them in the same competition if only to see how the Y holds up to the legendary Hemi.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Thanks for setting the record straight Charlie. The Hemi's that did not explode did allright but most could not go the distance. A good testament for the y block engine. I do hope that Ted can make it back this show. AND Kaase, very cool that he is entering a Yblock - this only makes it better in the long run for yblock owners. That's me!
charliemccraney

Yep, in order to count for anything, it has to finish.

I'll admit my ignorance about them, but Hemis don't really seem to be that competitive unless there is a blower on top. I realize in their time, they were a big improvement over things of the past, but that design seems to have come and gone, to be surpassed by better chamber designs, more valves per cylinder, etc. Older wedge engines can take advantage of some of those advancements, but the old hemis just seem to stay hemis.
From what I understand, the gen III Hemi is not truly a hemi.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
charliemccraney

It's going down this Thursday.

One of the poly 318 teams is reportedly near 1.5 hp / ci out of 402ci, with factory heads, modified, I'm sure. That is impressive.

I think Ted will be able to edge that out. He's already been building Y's with that specific output, with constraints, such as hood clearance or actually being useable, rather than a dyno queen. And there is no telling what Jon Kaase's Y will do.

I look forward to the results.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Jon Kaase building a Y block that's coo.l Can't wait to see how it does. That man can build anything and make it work.
Tom Williams
charliemccraney

Tomorrow! Here's a link to the site for updates. There is a Vintage Class preview article there now. Looks like Kaase is running a 2x4 SBC tunnel port manifold with an adapter, and who knows what else going on inside. I'm curious if he reconfigured the port dividers inside the manifold to match the Y-block head.

http://www.hotrod.com/events/engine-masters-challenge/
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
charliemccraney

Kaase won. He reconfigured the inside of the heads so the ports are side by side.

477.6 average hp, 557 average torque. 583 peak hp (@5500rpm), 596 peak torque (@ 4600rpm) out of a claimed 400ci.

The Poly 318 finished 2nd, with Ted's Y in a very close 3rd. The reporting is terrible so I'm not sure what Ted's exact numbers were at this point, but it looks like he improved over his last EMC entry, and with slightly less displacement.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Charlie, I have to say your reporting is better than what the magazine is attempting!
As far as my thinking any more entries in the mix is great for us y blockers. But man did Kasse go after those aluminum heads with a vengeance! Talk about thinking outside the box. Didn't like seeing that c***** intake on there but hey, It's unlimited hot rodding. Really trick oiling setup on the lifter valley too.