Considering a change of toys.

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

LM14
United States of America

Considering a change of toys.

Post by LM14 »

Long post, looking for some feedback.

I've had the '66 for a couple years. It's fun to drive, looks decent enough but has a few cosmetic blemishes that need attention. A friend with a body shop will do the repairs for $1000 to get it back passable. Fix a couple rust spots, re-clear the hood, fix the place below the gas filler that gas has gotten under and lifted the paint a little and a few other things like that. Nothing major but a lot of little things. Never seem to get around to putting the disc brakes on the front, I'm always driving if it's nice and don't want to tear it apart.

Got a few people interested in trading for it.

One is a '57 F100 panel truck. Showed it to the guys in chat last week. Needs painted, has a :barf: Chevy engine and tranny in it. I think it has a Camaro front stub but haven't got all the info and pictures yet. Was probably a decent street rod style panel 10-15 years ago. Looks OK, I like '57's, like panels. It would need totally redone but is mostly rust free and straight.

#2 is a '37 Ford Club Coupe. It's a 5 window coupe. Bare metal body with all the rust removed and new panels welded in. Comes with all the fenders, running boards, hood, hood sides, grill, trunk, doors, dash, lights, garnish moldings, seat, a stock frame plus a new set of frame rails and boxing plates. Needs the frame built, all suspension put in....pretty much everything needs done but it looks like a great starting point.

Either one would probably get a 351W (probably stroked to 393)/AOD setup, color keyed steel wheels, new IFS, new 4 bar 9" rear with coilovers, etc. Whichever way I go (if I even trade for either one) it would be a back burner project because I need to finish the uni first.

The coupe is selling for a couple thousand less than the '57 but it would be worth a lot more finished. The coupe would be a total build from a bare frame and bare body. The '57 would need everything re-built and updated. The guy wants out from under the coupe and the amount of work needed, the guy with the '57 is pricing it a bit high and doing some fishing so in actuality the true values are probably fairly close.

I'm leaning towards the '37 Coupe, even though the trade will get me less up front value for my '66. Nothing on the '37 needs undone and it's a clean slate build that I can do exactly like I want it and end up with a higher valued car when the time comes to move it along in the future. I actually tried to buy a '37 about 25 years ago but the guy couldn't make up his mind. He got divorced and his wife sold it to her brother so it slipped out from under me. Not planning to build it just to sell but I usually don't keep my toys a long time. I like too many different styles of cars/trucks to lock onto one forever.

Am I totally crazy? What's your thoughts. I'm thinking a Unibody, the drag Maverick and a street rod. That kind of covers several base with 3 toys. Go ahead, explain why/where I'm crazy, this time.

Thanks,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
foodstick

Re: Considering a change of toys.

Post by foodstick »

Crazy? I dunno.. whoever gets the one you are selling is lucky though...

You know I have my Spare 65 parts truck behind the garage, sometimes I wish I had picked up that old 40's era pickup I had a chance at... kinda screwed up on that one....

I guess we get restless, I sure hope you get your Uni going soon.. if I had the fire I used to I would be building a long uni into a dual cab... or panel van... now my hands hurt just looking for the body hammer ;)
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Just my opinion. I would shoot for the '37. If you have to do the body work on both, at least there are no surprises with the 37. You're planning on putting a new IFS and drivetrain in both. So with the 57 you would be paying for work and parts that you are then going to redo.

Nic
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, the appointment is made. Putting the '66 on the trailer Tuesday morning for a little road trip. We'll see what rides home with me.

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Steve, my head hurts just thinking about it mate!, but going by the work to be done against end product I`ll say `37 or the `57....... :?
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, hauled the '66 a few hundred miles today to look at the '37 Coupe and let him look at the '66.

I looked at the '37 for all of 2 minutes and called that deal off, the body repairs he had done were nowhere near the level of quality I would want to own. He replaced rusty panels with "better" panels that had less rust in 3 different locations but still needed a lot of rapairs. He also had somehow put a patch panel in one quarter that caused the whole quarter to bow outward in front of the wheelwell. The trunk opening was not right and didn't fit the trunk lid at all. The opening was egged out almost an inch on one side.

Still shopping but also still have my body shop appointment for the minor paint touchups it needs.

SPark

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'm sure you'll find the right one, especially since distance seems to be a small factor :P . It wouldn't hurt to keep the shop appointment, though! I remind you, Slickstock is getting closer; plus the little details might sway a future trade in your favor.
:2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Sorry to hear that Steve, did you make an excuse or did you let him have it for wasting your time ? :cussing: :D
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Just politely told him it wasn't going to happen unless he threw about $5000 my way plus the car. He said he understood and did take the time to show me all the other stuff he had collected. Had a bunch of old cars. Had an old (46 or so) GMC snub nose cab on a newer bread truck chassis he's making into a roll back.

Needed a day off from sanding drywall joints anyway and got to tow with the new EcoBoost pickup so it all worked out.

Finally got pics of the '57 panel. Camaro stub poorly put in. Couple pieces of angle iron bird poop welded to the front of the Camaro stub to hold the bottom of the radiator support in place. They had laid metal over old port hole window holes and welded around the patch piece and finished with putty, I could go on but why? It's probably a $4000 truck. He thinks it's a $10,000 truck so we parted ways via emails.

Got my eye on a Henry J (actually 2 different ones) and a couple others that might be fun. Shopping is free (mostly free).

SPark

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Possibility we will be headed south Saturday for round 2. This one is a little more rare than a '37 coupe and a few years newer. Still a straight axle, more to follow late Saturday or Sunday if things work out!

Keep your fingers crossed,
SPark

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Damn, there goes another Texas vehicle heading up nawth! :P
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Toyz wrote:Damn, there goes another Texas vehicle heading up nawth! :P
Paul

Hope you're right, Paul!

SPark

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Paul wins. Odessa Texas has one less Henry J and one more '66 F100.

I've always wanted a steel bodied gasser, now I have one.

Steel body with a new fiberglass nose (includes the old steel sheetmetal in nice shape, too), new dropped parallel leaf front end, new Vega steering box with cross steering (all new but needs some tweaking te get the links in proper relationship to each other), all the rear coilovers with hairpin radius rods (soon to be changed to old school ladder bars) stock and custom interiors, Vintage Air system, polished American wheels, power windows, Ididit chrome tilt column, new floor pans, subrails, rockers, set back firewall and more.

It has fenderwell headers, fresh Turbo 350 and a good 350 out of a '71 Corvette (engine and tranny will go to the son-in-law most likely and it will get Ford power). The engine does include an all billet front accessory setup, pulleys, alternator, AC compressor, etc so looks like the son-in-law wins there.

It's been a street rod since the early '70's and has had at least 3 different paint jobs (one over the other). Really gotta question the choices of colors back in the 70's and 80's.

It goes on the back burner and we focus our efforts on the unibody. I'll sell off a few parts of the Henry (headers, front accessory drive/parts, fresh 3.70 posi GM 10 bolt rear, rear radius rods, wheels and tires, bucket seats, bench seats) to generate the funds to but the wheels I want and tires it needs. It also needs a 9" rear on the proper ladder bars.

Thanks for those that have been sending me links and calling me about street rods, gassers and other toys for sale. I appreciate it.

WARNING: Only look at the pictures below if you have a strong stomach, are color blind or don't mind seeing Brand X engines. You've been warned.

SPark

Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Steve, looks like you have the makings of a fun ride there once it gets some Blue Oval power into the framerails. I have been off the grid for a week so I haven't been keeping up with everything that has been going on. Looks like the body on that car is smooth and yes the previous paint jobs must have been quickies I am guessing. Don't have a clue what color looks good on a Henry J Gassers but I have always been a fan of the Stone, Woods, and Cook candy blue Willys gassers, so that is my pick. Too bad I sold those old 16 x 10 original Halibrands I had some years back. They would have looked bitchin' on it. TR
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Interesting...... i found a bench in the shade at GoodGuys on Friday in Des Moines to sit down and rest my feet for awhile. The bench just happened to be right next to a Henry J gasser. That isn't really my 'cup of tea' but I could appreciate the work involved as it was very nicely done and done to the 'hilt' (chrome leaf springs on the front etc).
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

All Right! What a trip, though! I hate to go to Odessa from here!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

Steve , that has the makings of "ONE FUN TOY". can't wait to see it finished. we're gonna have to start calling you Project Man 8) . Jeff
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:shock: I`ve got to say Steve, I have never seen one of those that I can remember, looks like fun tho!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

They are fairly rare, Alan. Only built from 50-54. They only weigh 2350# stock and were built as an economy car. No trunk lid (you get into the trunk thru the back seat area) and no glove box to save money. They were big in the gasser wars at the drag strips thru the 60's over here. 100" wheelbase but wider than Anglia/Thames so a bit more stable.

The SBC is leaving immediately, the son-in-law is excited to get it since he is wanting to do a 66-67 Nova with a small block some day and this can be his engine to build in the meantime. Think he's coming down next weekend to help pull it, he is excited.

We're leaning towards a 351W/C4. Blown of course. I also have the makings for a 351C (leftover parts rom the Maverick Pro Stock). In actuality, either engine is a bit new to be period correct. Maybe a stroker 302 would better represent the time period, or an FE. Still looking at engine choices. Can always go with the stroker 302 and Hilborn injectors (get the injectors converted to electronics for drivability). Still looking at engine options but I know the SBC is leaving.

SPark

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Truckrat wrote:Steve, looks like you have the makings of a fun ride there once it gets some Blue Oval power into the framerails. I have been off the grid for a week so I haven't been keeping up with everything that has been going on. Looks like the body on that car is smooth and yes the previous paint jobs must have been quickies I am guessing. Don't have a clue what color looks good on a Henry J Gassers but I have always been a fan of the Stone, Woods, and Cook candy blue Willys gassers, so that is my pick. Too bad I sold those old 16 x 10 original Halibrands I had some years back. They would have looked bitchin' on it. TR

You got the feel for it, Gary! I'm leaning towards these for rear wheels, polished of course:

http://www.team3wheels.com/altered.html

And these fro front wheels:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Rocket-Wheels/968 ... Id=1298359

I am looking at a medium metallic blue that is just a shade lighter than the SWC later cars. Darker than the early ones but lighter than the later ones.

As for engines, I'm wanting to stay somewhat true to the 60's gasser wars so still doing some scheming there.

SPark